Chapter 17 - ''Seems I owe you many debts.''

Katara often wondered what it would feel like to use her bloodbending in front of people. After so many years of hiding this ability, she finally got a chance to show someone what it could do. What kind of things she could achieve if people only didn't perceive it as something wrong.

It was the time, she's decided. She didn't have a second to waste on thinking about the possible consequences.

She would ensure it's still kept a secret from the world. But not from Taimo. Not from the people that she could actually heal.

As if sensing the unease that fell over the room, Zuko guided her out of the there. Without another word, they left in silence. Katara realised he led her outside of the healing room.

They now stood in the corridor. Zuko looked around to check if anyone sees them. Then he pushed Katara into the small closet next to the door they just went through.

She gasped at sudden physical contact. His hand almost burnt her shoulder as Zuko himself squeezed into the small space.

There was only shelves with a lot of tonics, glasses and towels. Complete darkness surrounded them as the Fire Lord closed the door behind him.

''What are you doing?'' Katara hissed, trying to get as away from him as possible. 

She felt Zuko's breath on her face and he stared down at her. ''This is the only place we can talk in private,'' he shrugged, the movement making his chest almost touch her own. Katara inched back. ''Now, can you truly heal Taimo?''

The waterbender swallowed hard. ''I can,'' she nodded. It was difficult not to look up at him. Her eyes settled on the buttons of his shirt. It was done up to his neck. ''I need to tell you something, first though. You have to promise not to freak out.''

''Anything,'' Zuko did not hesitate. ''You can tell me anything.''

Katara gathered the courage to glance up at him. There was no light but she could make out his face features. He was serious, she's realized. ''You need to keep this a secret. No one can ever know.''

Frowning, Zuko nodded. ''I will not tell a soul.''

He would do that. The Fire Lord couldn't admit it out loud yet but he would do anything she'd ask of him. The urge to make her happy was overwhelming. 

Katara exhaled heavily. Here goes a secret, the terrible truth she's held for many years. A part of her that she cherished the most. ''In order to heal Taimo, I need to use the technique I've learnt a long time ago,'' she's said. Zuko glared at her so dropped her head, looking away. ''Bloodbending is the only thing that can save him.''

In the little distance they had between each other, she could feel Zuko's body becoming perfectly still. He tensed, watching her carefully. He remained silent for few moments.

''Don't you need a Full Moon to perform it?'' 

''No,'' she shook her head. ''Not anymore.''

He raised his eyebrows. 

''Zuko, I know what people think of it,'' Katara's voice was quiet. She felt a strange relief in her chest but her eyes became misty. ''I understand that everyone is scared of it. But I promise you, it is not what it seems.''

''Does it not hurt people? Take away their will?'' Zuko questioned in a tone that was a void of nothingness. Empty. 

''If you use it to control people, yes. It can be used to heal, though. It gives people a second chance,'' she's explained. She found herself wanting Zuko to understand. She needed him to be on her side. Otherwise, she might not believe it herself.