Chapter 45 - ''We let him be happy.''

Rushing through the halls, Zuko held his bag of clothes and supplies he might need tight in his hand. Katara's fingers grazed his palm as they ran up to the door that she's never opened before. 

It was late and she thanked the Spirits they've only passed by two guards who let them go once they've realized it was the Fire Lord himself. Bowing, they did not question the healer's presence. 

Zuko didn't even bother to knock as he opened the door. 

The room was small. Surprisingly, the white walls stood out the most to her. One tiny window, so similar to the one she had at the South Pole was also uncovered, letting the Moon's light into the chamber. 

Chan laid on top of the not so big bed. He rose up once she closed the wooden platform behind them. 

Frowning, he surveyed them both. His eyes widened as they set on the waterbender. 

''Katara!'' the Captain of the Guard jumped out from between the scarlet blankets. She marked that he was shirtless and a blush spread across her cheeks. As if realizing the same thing, Chan smirked. ''I thought I wouldn't see you any time soon. Can't tell you how glad I am to welcome you in my bedroom, princess. It only ever happened in my dreams.''

She glanced at Zuko's tight jaw. His clenched fists. She took a moment to admire the Captain's boldness.

''I'm happy to see you too,'' she mumbled, her face heating up even more. She took a step forward and she could've sworn something similar to a snarl came out of the Fire Lord's mouth. Rolling her eyes, she grabbed Chan's hand. ''We need your help.''

''At your service,'' he tilted his head. His sight moved to the man behind her, a playful smile never disappearing from his face. ''What can I do for you?''

''Well, first you could put on a shirt,'' Zuko muttered sarcastically. ''Then you can come with us.''

Chan's brow rose up but he stood there still. Katara was pretty sure he chose to ignore his ruler's first command. ''And where would we be going?''

The waterbender knew Zuko's told the Captain of his Guard everything about the Air Nomads. As he was packing his stuff, he informed her of it. 

She wasn't even surprised. She expected that much from him.

''We're going to help the Avatar free the Air Nomads,'' she said, her chest full of hope. She fixated her eyes on Chan. ''You in?''

Bowing lowly at his waist, Katara's noticed Zuko rolling his eyes. The Captain's grin spread even more but some sort of seriousness flashed across his features. ''Wouldn't miss it for the world.'' 

...................................

There was no one Zuko trusted more than Chan and Taimo. Even though he called the emergency council meeting in the middle of the night, only two elderly members showed up. He deemed it fair enough as they were already pretty tight on timing. 

Katara and Chan stood by Appa as the Fire Lord explained most important thing to Taimo; leaving him in charge till they come back. He was quite surprised himself that the guard didn't ask many questions, he carefully listened to everything. Even the councilmen didn't argue with Zuko. 

They both wished they could take Taimo with them but someone had to stay. Whereas the Captain would be better for this job, they simply knew he would rather throw himself into a Volcano than stay back to rule over people he truly hated.

''What's wrong with you?'' Chan suddenly flicked the waterbender's nose. She scoffed at him but her eyes remained on the Fire Lord. He looked so much like the leader he was born to be, she was quite impressed with how he managed to pull it off.