Chapter 46 - ''You're very much human.''

Someone pulled at her sleeve so hard, she was forced to take her eyes off the Fire Lord. With a loud groan, she looked down at Sokka furiously. Her brother stood there with his brows drawn as he gestured to the entrance of the cave. 

''You might want to keep these glances to a minimum,'' he said through his teeth. Katara noticed a movement in the distance. ''He is not in the mood today.''

Rolling her eyes, the waterbender shrugged off Sokka's grip. He took a step away, allowing her to descend from the saddle. She heard Zuko and Chan do the same behind her but neither said a word yet. 

''Is everyone inside?'' Katara asked as they slowly approached the cave. 

It seemed Sokka knew who his sister was asking about because he stopped before they took a turn to come into the tunnel. He regarded her, then two of her companions. ''Mai is in there. Aang wishes you to talk to her at once. He says there is no time to...''

''That's fine,'' the waterbender interrupted him, already turning to look at Zuko who stood there avoiding everyone's eye contact. ''Leave us.''

''But Aang...'' 

''Tell him we'll be there in a moment,'' she surveyed the Fire Lord, noticing how lost and unsure he stood there. ''Take Chan with you. He's good at making up stories.''

She heard a scoff from her left side and the wind as the Captain passed next to her. ''I'm not sure it was a compliment.'' 

''It wasn't,'' Katara grinned back at him, only to see the violent gesture he made toward her and Sokka's eye roll. 

Chan's laughter echoed throughout the stones as both men entered the cave. As soon as they disappeared, she grabbed Zuko's hand. He finally glared up at her and all the conflicted emotions slapped her across the face. 

''Are you okay?'' she's asked quietly. 

The Fire Lord regarded her, the motion that would usually send a shiver through her. But this time his shoulders were slumped, his hand limp in her hold, his eyes wondering as if he couldn't focus on anything but who was waiting for him inside. 

''No,'' he admitted shamefully. ''It's hard.''

''I can only imagine,'' she offered up, a shy smile playing on her lips. Her thumb caressed his palm. ''I won't force you to do this. If you choose not to, we'll find a way to get you out of this. Just say a word and I'll make sure you don't see her. Spirits, I'll even let her go if that's what you wish.''

A corner of his mouth lifted up. ''You would do that for me, wouldn't you?''

''Of course,'' she said with no hesitation. She was desperate for him to look at her, straight into her eyes and her soul like he always did but this time... Agni, he reminded her of a little lost boy that could not find his way. ''Just a word, Zuko. I'll make it happen.''

He moved away a little, his hand getting out of her grip. His back leaned against the cold stone of the cave, he peered up at the sky, at the Sun. She observed him for a while, wondering what he was thinking about as his smile widened. His eyes closed, he seemed as though he was enjoying the warmth reflecting on his skin. 

Even without the crown and his soul so burdened, she could not stop thinking how magnificent and powerful he looked. 

''I'll do it,'' he whispered into the air between them. She itched to touch him, to offer that kind of comfort that they both knew so well. He opened his eyes slowly, finally resting them on her face. His beam disappeared as he took in everything she exposed to him. ''I'll do it but not for Aang. Not even for the Air Nomads. I'll do it for myself. So I... so I can be sure.''