Chapter 4 - ''I hope it's to your liking.''

Once they've arrived at the Fire Nation's Palace, they were greeted by the Captain of the Guard. It was a surprisingly young man. Katara would guess he was in his twenties. His hair and eyes were same as every fire bender's. He wore a uniform that Katara thought must've been very uncomfortable.

Aang only dipped his head, going inside. Sokka and Toph followed. Katara stayed back, marveling at the building.

She had been here before. During Zuko's coronation and some time after. Since then, it hasn't changed much. It was still breath-taking. Red stone and gold ornaments melted into it were shining brightly in the morning sun.

The only thing that she absolutely hated about it was the wall around it. Separating it from Fire Nation's common people. When she first saw it, she's been meaning to talk to Zuko about it.

She never got a chance. Her responsibilities back at home have taken up all of her time.

''Can I help you to your chamber, Lady Katara?'' she's heard from her left and she turned to look at the Captain of the Guard.

He was still standing there along with five other guards. All staring at her. However, his eyes were not at all condemning for wasting his time. He genuinely was... intrigued?

''It would seem my friends have abandoned me,'' she offered a shy smile, pointing at the entrance to the palace. ''They tend to forget I do not know my way around here.'' Or anywhere, she's added bitterly in her head.

''It's quite alright,'' he's reassured, returning the gesture. He was quite good-looking. She definitely liked the way his mouth formed and dimples appeared. ''I was send to show you around, Lady, since your friends have been here for the past two days already.''

''Have they now...'' Why on earth did it still surprise her people kept secrets from her? She did suspect they arrived earlier than her since they've already looked ready to go. All dressed up and refreshed. She, however, was not aware they've been here for that long.

''Did they not tell you?'' The captain raised his brow.

Katara couldn't tell him the truth. How would it look? She didn't want him to know something... something she hasn't yet admitted herself. A terrible truth about their friendship that she was gladly ignoring.

''I'm sure they simply forgot,'' she snickered and tilted her head toward the gate. ''Shall we?''

''Ladies first,'' he half bowed.

Her eyes widened. The captain smirked and did not straighten up until she passed next to him. Whether he was a gentleman or was just playing some political game she wasn't aware of, she felt her cheeks gone a warm.

Katara slowed as she crossed the gates, waiting for him. She looked back to see him whispering something to the other guards.

They stopped talking at once when they've noticed her attention on them. One of them looked at her apologetically.

''What was your name, again?'' she's asked the Captain of the Guard.

He winked, approaching her. ''Chan.''

''Chan,'' she repeated. First person she would definitely ask for if she had any problems here. He looked like the sort of person who would become the trouble if there was a need. ''I'd really love to get a shower and change out of these clothes.''

They started walking together. Chan led the way while the other guards followed their footsteps. The halls were big enough for two or three people to walk next to each other. There were so many turns and corridors, she's already determined she will need assistance for the first few days.