Chapter 48 - ''When the Sun rises and when it settles.''

''I want to ask you about something,'' Zuko broke the silence that once again stretched between them. He leaned against the cave's cold wall, staring at Katara as she took longer to put her clothes on.

''What is it?'' she muttered while brushing her fingers through her unbound hair. It was a hot mess but there was not much she could do about it now.

Tilting his head to the side, the Fire Lord pointed to her right upper arm. ''Where did you get that from?''

Following his sight, she looked at the long, bright scar that reflected in the dim light of the cave. Biting her lip, she let go of her hair. Zuko squinted her eyes at her as she balanced on her feet.

Katara shrugged nonchalantly. ''It's nothing.''

The firebender got up. He approached the blushing healer, his hand sliding over her skin, over the ugly remainder of what she did to Mai. His features set into calmness but there was a shadow of anger that passed across them. ''Scars are not nothing. They stay with you for the rest of your life.''

If anyone knew anything about scars, it would be Zuko.

She shifted uncomfortably. ''I know.''

His brow rose, his jaw clenched. ''So?''

''So what?''

Zuko huffed annoyingly. ''How did you get it? I know it wasn't there before.''

''Do you now...'' Katara rolled her eyes. She crossed her arms, shielding her body against whatever he would throw at her now. Even though she wasn't scared, not of him, not ever. ''You're not going to like the answer.''

''Tell me anyway,'' the Fire Lord pressured. His eyes softened a little as he surveyed her. ''Please.''

The waterbender sighed. She looked up at him. ''I might have... gotten into a little fight with Mai.''

Zuko frowned. ''What do you mean?''

''Well, I-I kinda lost control. I saw her and...'' she glanced away, shame written all over her face. ''I got angry. Just looking at her, I wanted to put her in her place.''

''But why?'' the Fire Lord breathed out.

''I guess it was because I simply couldn't understand how she was here, alive and well while you were back in the Capital, heartbroken and torn,'' Katara whispered, the memories of Mai's enraging smirk flashing back to her. ''It didn't make any sense.''

''I'm not heartbroken because of her,'' Zuko murmured in surprise. It seemed like he came even closer. ''Not anymore.''

The waterbender whipped her head up. ''You're not?''

''No,'' he shook his head slowly. There was no hesitation in his voice. ''I told you, my heart is charred because of you, Katara. She no longer affects it in any way.''

She took a step forward, straight into his arms. He wrapped them around her waist. Her hands rested on his shoulders.

''So, I'm the reason you're hurting?'' she asked, her tone full of devastation.

Spirits, she never wanted to hurt him in any way.

To her surprise, Zuko chuckled softly. He pulled her closer, their bodies touching everywhere now. ''You are my suffering,'' he muttered into her neck, hiding his face in the nook of it. ''But I'm like a pain addict. I cannot get enough of it. I want you to torment me forever because with it, comes so much more. Many beautiful moments and feelings we share are worth this twisted agony.''

Katara was stunned, she just stared straight ahead, her head above his shoulder now. His breath warming her skin, she clung to him tightly. Shutting her eyes, she listened to the sweet silence of the cave.