Chapter 8 - ''You must be lonely.''

Katara would never compare herself to Suki. She was, after all, a trained spy and a skilled warrior. Katara was neither of those things.

However, she felt exactly like her friend with a hood drawn over her head and a scarf covering half her face. She always had this black suit with her, in case she needed some time away from everyone. Or had an urge to practice bloodbending.

She had to use it quite often since everyone in the world knew her face. If not because of her famous healing abilities then because she was the Avatar's friend.

It barely fit her now though. She's owned it since she's stolen it from the Fire Nation village before she went off with Zuko to find the Southern Raiders. Her body grew into it, especially her chest. It was difficult to breathe in that thing but she managed.

Perhaps she would get a chance to buy a new one here at the Fire Nation. When nobody is watching.

She glanced back when she heard the footsteps nearing her. Taking in her surroundings, she took a sharp turn left. She appeared in the corridor she didn't recognize but the sound was louder. Someone was closer so she just hid behind a wall, listening.

Her heart was beating fast. She knew it would not be as easy as it was at the South Pole. There was so many guards here, she was honestly surprised she's made it that far. If she remembered correctly, she's already managed to pass five corridors and one huge hall.

''I could eat something,'' a male voice said from where she was just a minute ago. Someone grunted an answer. ''Me too.''

''Should we raid the kitchens?'' another person suggested. She's counted three male voices so far. ''See what the pretty maids can offer?''

''Hopefully they can satisfy more than one hunger,'' at this comment, all roared with laughter.

''Did I tell you about Miri yesterday...''

Katara felt ill. How could men make such beastly comments about women? Hard working women, at that. She barely held back a groan that was nothing but disgust toward whoever these guards were.

Glad she couldn't hear the rest of their repulsive conversation, she peeked into the corridor. It was empty. Exhaling, she moved quickly.

She very much doubted she'd be able to find the main gates to get out of the palace at this point. She's been wondering about for a very long time especially since she had to hide about every three minutes. Yes, she's kept track.

She was growing desperate. Less careful with every step. She thought she might even ask the next guard she finds to point her in the right directions to just get some fresh air. Get out of this suffocating place.

Katara didn't have to do that though.

Coming out from behind the wall, she spotted a door. Glass double door. Behind it, she's seen what she was searching for.

A garden.

She believed it was the same one she could see from her window. Approaching the door silently, she pushed them. To her surprise, they opened.

Cold air blew on her face. She closed her eyes for a second. Inhaling. Exhaling. Breathing in the scent of the night. She felt the moon light on her skin. She took off the hood and the scarf. Her unbound hair flew back.

She felt so alive.

Opening her eyes, she walked further into the garden as in a daze. Glaring up at the moon, she could've sworn it was talking to her. Telling her to use it's power. To the fullest.

Would she dare? Would she do it here, out where everybody could see? What would she use it on? Perhaps she could find some hurt creature in these trees.