Chapter 47 - ''The biggest idiot I've ever met.'' 18+

They both decided to face the Team Avatar together. Keeping a healthy distance between them, they came out of the cave to be greeted by Aang's accusing eyes. He approached them straight away, his finger pointed at the Fire Lord.

Katara surveyed the surroundings, realizing that her father and Mai were nowhere to be seen. Good. That would make it easier on Zuko. 

''I'm going to need you to go talk to her again,'' the Master of Four Elements ordered. The firebender crossed his arms. ''Hakoda took her on a little walk so we can discuss what you say to her next. We don't have any time to spare so I'm going to be brief-''

''Aang, slow down,'' Katara interrupted, everyone's fixated on her now. ''He needs a moment to rest. I didn't realize his muscle is so strained. I'm going to need him to lay down for a while so I can work on it.''

She avoided the looks the rest of the Team along with Chan were giving her behind the Avatar's back. Especially the Captains, who seemed to be in a good mood today. 

The airbender raised his brow at her. ''Do you speak for him now?''

''No,'' she shook her head, words spitting out of her. ''But since I am the Master Healer, it is my professional recommendation for my patient.''

Aang's jaw tightened. ''He seems fine to me now,'' he regarded Zuko shortly. She did so too, noticing his clenched fists. ''Perhaps you're mistaken.''

Of course, the cause of his pain was a lie but she could simply not comprehend how uncaring of it the Avatar was. It was not the empathetic boy she once knew. 

Katara opened her mouth as the rage brewed in her.

''If you want me to talk to Mai, I will do it,'' the Fire Lord promised, his palm over his heart. ''Let me have one day to gather my thoughts and for Katara to help me heal. Then I will be more prepared to get the location of the Air Nomads out of her.''

Aang glimpsed at him. He blinked twice before waving him off. ''Fine, you get one day,'' he seethed, his face gloomy. ''In the morning, I expect you to do everything in your power to convince her to give the information up.''

Zuko frowned. ''What do you mean?''

''Well, I'm guessing the reason she wanted to speak to you is that she wants to be with you,'' the Avatar shrugged. ''And because you're here, I'm assuming you want the same thing so make her believe it.''

The Fire Lord's face dropped. He was looking at Aang intensely but he didn't say anything. The lack of denial was killing Katara. She unconsciously took a step back. 

Chan's eyes snapped to her at once. He took note of her blank expression as the both leaders stared at each other. 

The Captain came forward to stand by her. His hand grazed hers. Sokka squinted at them. The guard tilted his head and the waterbender's brother started spewing something into the Avatar's ear. 

Zuko still glared at him, unmoving. 

''We let him be happy, remember?'' the firebender at her whispered to her so only she could hear. He stood there with her, observing the exchanging of looks and the mumbles between them. ''We let him go.''

''Does that mean he still... cares for her?'' she muttered back, fighting the tears that almost shone in her eyes.

''I don't know,'' Chan shook his head, almost invisibly. There was something similar to sadness in his tone. ''I don't know.''

She rubbed her face. Shaking off the ugly feeling, she glanced at the Captain. ''It's hard on him. He doesn't know what to do.''

''Yes,'' he peered down at her. ''But it's not him I'm worried about.''