Chapter 36 - ''I won't let that happen.''

Despite the unpleasant misunderstanding he had with the Earth King, Zuko was quite happy about how the things worked out. He felt as though he could finally breathe. Aang was satisfied and even his own advisors seemed to think the idea was not bad at all.

He just had to ensure Kuei would be willing to let go soon. Last thing Zuko needed was another war.

To let him calm down, the Fire Lord announced a brief break. The Earth Guards watched closely as their leader got up. He did not spare another glance as he walked away to the corner of the room. One of the maids was called by Chan to bring in some refreshments.

Among the whispers, Katara barely noticed when Aang followed King Kuei, surely to make some amendments before they come back to talk about what's next.

''Are you okay?'' Toph leaned in. Her voice was quiet.

Katara looked at her friend, then at her brother who was also awaiting an answer. Their brows rose up as she sighed heavily. ''I'm fine.''

''You don't seem fine,'' Sokka noticed. There was a shadow over her features that he could not make out. ''Come on, Katara. This is very good news!''

''Yes,'' the waterbender nodded. She briefly glanced at Zuko who got pulled away by an elderly looking man. She did not know his name but it was the last thing that mattered to her now. ''I guess it is.''

''You're acting very strange,'' Toph said frowning. ''Are you sure...''

Cutting off the earthbender's voice, Katara stood up abruptly. ''Excuse me.''

''Katara!'' Sokka yelled after her.

She didn't look back. She did not stop as she rushed out of the meeting room. She needed fresh air.

She couldn't breathe, she couldn't see, she couldn't hear anything as she ran. Her legs strained but she pushed through it. Her teeth greeting, she found herself in the gardens.

The sun was shining brightly in her face. Any other day, she would welcome it. She would let it swarm over her skin, warming it up so deliciously she could spend a whole day just basking in the sun rays.

Not now. Not when the tears already started falling down her cheeks and she barely hid behind the willow just so she could collapse on the soft grass. Half leaning over the bench, she sobbed. Her chest heaved painfully.

Katara only hoped nobody would see it. Not as her heart broke into a million pieces because soon, she would lose the one thing that made her feel like her again.

....................................

Knowing she didn't have much time to let it all out, she wiped her eyes. The glimmering paint she put on her lids this morning was definitely smudged. Her face felt puffy but she walked into the council room unbothered. Plastering a delicate smile, she walked slowly over to the table.

Before she got the chance to sit down, her wrist was grabbed by Chan who alongside Taimo, directed her away. Glaring around, she exhaled in relief knowing that nobody has sat down yet to start the meeting.

With so many people there, she couldn't see where Zuko was but her friends were laughing along with the Earth King on the opposite side of the chamber.

''What's wrong?'' Chan asked, scanning her face closely. He let go of her hand.

Taimo's forehead was tight as he also inspected her.

Katara blinked rapidly. She could lie to them. Tell them it was nothing, that she just needed some air to clear her head. But they've always been honest with her. Just like Zuko, they've accepted every part of her and did not turn her back away when they've learnt about the bloodbending. ''I needed a moment to process all this by myself. I hope nobody's noticed my absence.''