Chapter 13 - ''I love you through everything.''

''Woah, you look incredible!'' Aang smiled at the blushing Katara, approaching from the Fire Palace's gates. He was wearing his nicer robes. Even she thought them all to look quite similar. She's waited for him some time now. It seemed he had somewhere to be before joining her at the place he told her to wait at. ''Sorry it took so long. I hope you're still hungry, though.''

''Starving,'' Katara's answered, returning the gesture of a smile.

Aang offered the waterbender his arm. She eagerly wrapped her hands around it. He led the way forward.

They engaged in a conversation about their plans here. He's told her all about how frustrated he was about not being able to find the common ground to build the 'Republic City'. He promised not to give up. His plan for now was to win every single councilman's approval by simply charming them with his 'Avatarness'.

Katara listened to him all the way to the town center. She might've been a bit overwhelmed by so many people staring at them though. She tried to admire beautiful red bricked buildings and various shops she wished they could go into. However, it was hard to ignore the whispers she's heard even over Aang's voice.

''I think the most important thing is that we're all on the same page,''he said, unaware or uncaring of people's glances once again. ''Like the monks taught me, there is a strength in people's unity. That's why all the airbenders were so close. We believed we could do everything together.''

A shadow crossed over his face but Aang has healed his wounds a long time ago. He would always feel the pain thinking about the Air Nomads but he no longer let himself be consumed by it.

Katara squeezed his arm. ''It's beautiful, Aang.''

He nodded slowly coming out of the overbearing nostalgia. He looked up to the sign now stretching before them. ''We're here.''

''The Flaming Dumpling,'' Katara read out loud as Aang let go of her to open the door.

She had to admit, it was nothing what she expected. It was a small, local diner. The colours that dominated inside, of course, were of the nation they 'lived' in now. Temporarily, she thanked the Spirits.

There was about twelve tables. To her surprise, all of them except two were occupied. A slow, calming music played in the background. Where it was coming from, she had no idea. It was all very cute and so Aang-like, she didn't need anything else.

''The Avatar's table,'' Aang winked at an older woman coming up to them. She looked like she could potentially be her Gran-Gran's age. With an upturned face and a half bow, the waitress led them to a table far at the back. ''This is my usual spot,''her friend whispered back to Katara.

They both thanked the older woman who promised to bring them the menus in a second. Aang grabbed the back of Katara's chair before she could pull it out to sit on it. ''Allow me.''

Her face brightened as she dipped her head to him. She sat down and he quickly did the same on the other side of a squared table.

''So...,'' Aang scratched his head. ''I just wanted to thank you for coming tonight. It means a lot to me that we can spend some time together.''

''Me too, Aang,'' Katara leaned on her elbows to get closer to him. Was it just her or all the voices in the room grew quiet? ''I'm glad we finally get a chance to talk, alone.''

''Is there anything in particular you wanted to speak about?'' Aang raised his eyebrow.

''I-I... Yes, actually, there is...''

''Here you are,'' the same woman who greeted them, put down two papers in front of them. ''Let me know when I can take your orders.''

''Thank you, So!'' Aang called after her. Neither touched the menus yet. ''Sorry, what was it again?''