Epilogue

5 years later

Charles walked slowly through the cemetery, his eyes scanning the rows of gravestones until he found the one he was looking for. It was a simple gray stone, unadorned save for the name and dates etched into its surface.

Max.

Charles felt a lump rise in his throat as he knelt down before the grave. It had been five years since Max died, but it still felt like yesterday to Charles. He could still remember every detail of that day - the way Max had pushed him out of the way of the bullets, the shock and horror he felt as he realized what had happened, the desperate attempts to save him.

But it was no use. Max was gone, and he wasn't coming back.

Charles laid a bouquet of flowers on the grave, his fingers trembling slightly. "I miss you," he whispered, his voice barely above a whisper. "Every day, I miss you."

He stayed there for a long time, just sitting and talking to Max like he used to do. He told him about his day, his hopes and dreams, everything that he would have shared with Max if he were still alive.

It had taken Charles months to come to terms with Max's death. He'd gone through the motions of living, but everything felt dull and empty without Max by his side. He'd even thought about taking his own life, but he'd known that Max would never have wanted that. Eventually, he'd found solace in coming to the grave. It was the only place where he felt truly close to Max.

As he sat there, Charles began to realize that it was time to move on. He would always love Max, would always miss him, but he needed to start living again. Max would have wanted that for him.

With a heavy heart, Charles stood up and dusted himself off. He looked down at the grave, feeling bittersweet sadness wash over him. "Goodbye, Max," he said softly. "I'll always love you.

As he turned to walk away, Charles felt a weight lift from his shoulders. He knew that Max was gone, but somehow, coming to his grave always made it easier to bear. He would always miss him, but he would go on living, knowing that Max was watching over him from wherever he was.

Charles walked out of the cemetry towards the limo. His new bodyguard opened the door for him to get in and closed it afterwards.

" Are you okay, my King?" His bodyguard asked.

My king

Those two words got Charles thinking back. He wasn't his king, he never will be.

The only one who can call him that is Max.

The love of his life.

Only him.

" Yeah, " Charles lied " And please just call me sir."

" Okay, sir."

They drove back to Charles's palace. The big palace who kept the memories of his love.

His king

The End

A/N: This book has come to an end. I want to thank you all for your reads, votes and sweet comments. They all mean a lot to me.

If you like Lestappen and AU, I have a book called 'Thin Ice', it is an ice skating/ice hockey AU. Check it out if you want.