011

Chapter Eleven: "taking the jump

Chapter Eleven:
"taking the jump."
⌁₊˚⊹ ⊹˚₊⌁₊˚⊹ ⊹˚₊⌁₊˚⊹ ⊹˚₊⌁

THIS week was definitely one of the strangest ones she's had since attending Rockbridge high. If Calliope's learned anything from these last five couple of days, it's that she really detests being at school without Hazel.

As the week began and dragged on at an insufferable slow pace, here's a couple of the strange things she observed. She walked down the hallway on Monday and noticed the words on the metal of PJ and Josie's lockers in the grey spray paint font. Horny Freak #1 and Horny Freak #2.

By default, her locker got a makeover as well. Horny Freak #3, lovely. Now that everyone in Rockbridge knew PJ was Calliope's cousin, she was automatically affiliated with the two best friends and the fight club scheme.

The best friends who apparently weren't acting like best friends at the moment.

She only assumed this because every day this week they sat away from each other, in Mr. G's class where he passive aggressively gave lectures with the word feminism scratched out on the board, and in the lunchroom where they sat at separate tables.

Calliope didn't know what was going on with them, and she couldn't act like she wasn't a little bit curious because she was. She had to get to the bottom of it. Since she refused to talk to PJ because of her rude remarks toward Hazel last week —that she still hasn't apologized for —she had to talk to Josie to see what happened between them.

Wednesday she pulled her aside during lunch, and the two of them leave the cafeteria to sit on the bleachers on the football field. As she ate her nachos —homemade tortilla chips, cheese, and salsa— Josie explains everything. It would seem that after Calliope and the fight club girls left the gym with Hazel last Friday that she and PJ got into a big fight.

And they haven't talked to each other since that day.

So, there's that.

Shockingly, but yet also not so shockingly at all, Josie and Isabel hooked up last week the day of the disagreement in the gym. She remembers seeing Isabel looking unusually chipper on Friday, she just didn't know it had anything to do with Josie.

Her plan to get Isabel to notice her proved to be a huge success, but of course that all fell apart when she found out that she lied about not only the fight club, but also going to Juvie, and all the stories she made up about her traumatic experiences there.

And now, as she had the misfortune to observe in the cafeteria on Monday, she was dating Jeff.

... Again.