Chapter 1

Akiko P.O.V.

I glance out of the window from the carriage at the imperial court. I sigh silently as that place is going to be my home from now on. I already know that this place is going to give me a headache. The carriage rides through the gates of the outer court, as well as the inner courts and stops at the palace. A little but uneasy I step out, and see that my luggage, which isn't much, is already being gathered. "Lady Akiko I presume?" I look up to see a fairly handsome young standing in front of me. "Yes" I say. "My name is Basen, I am the attendant of Jinshi-sama." He says. I frown slightly. "You've probably been told his real name Zuigetsu-sama" Basen says. I nod. "Please follow me. I will take you to his wing" Basen says. I look around as I follow Basen. It's almost as big as my home town. Basen knocks on a door where arguing voices sound. When he opens the door there's a beautiful man, almost celestial. Someone you can't look away from. With him there's a man, his aura demands respect and power. He must be the emperor. "Pardon the intrusion" Basen says, bowing. I immediately bow as well, in my own way. "This must be your foreign bride" the emperor says. "You know I only did this for you" he adds. "And I thank you for making this exception. But that still doesn't mean that I will change my mind" Jinshi says. "We will resume this discussion later. Welcome your wife" the emperor says. "Raise your head" the emperor says. He smiles when he sees me, and my face. "Do you understand our language?" He asks. "I do, sir" I say politely. "That's good" he says and then chuckles. "It's a good catch Zuigetsu. A really good catch" he says and then leaves. Jinshi sighs which is almost a groan. He then sends me a smile which almost takes my breath away. "I'm sorry about that. Welcome, We're excited that you're here Akiko" he says, taking both my hands. I smile slightly. He then looks me up and down. "I understand that the style of clothing is different where you come from than here. I hope that you don't mind that I already prepared a closet for you with our style of clothing. Attendants will help dress you in it" he says. "I don't. Thank you" I say.

Jinshi left enough room in the closet for the clothes that I brought. I haven't met the first wife yet. But I heard the attendants whisper that the only reason he married me, is because the first wife doesn't like physical contact much, as she grew up in Hanamachi.  Which of course made me feel very disappointed. Jinshi and I consummated the marriage the first night I got here, and he's come to my room every night since. Sleeping over as well. But he is no where to be seen during the day, which makes me believe the rumors even more. I made it a habit to have a stroll every morning, as I'm doing right now. I crouch down curiously when I see a plant, herb really, which up until now I've only seen in books. "Do you know what that is?" I look up when I hear a voice, and see a woman my age, in between the herbs. Her looks aren't that special, but her eyes are intelligent. "I do, but up until now I've only seen it in books" I say. It's silent for a bit. "Oh I see. You must be the second wife. I didn't know you had already arrived" she says. "Please call me Akiko.. second wife is so..." I don't finish my sentence. It's degrading. "I'm Mao Mao" she says. Oh you're the first wife. I bow to her. "Please don't. We're the same rank, please treat me as such" she says as she comes over to me. "Did you plant these?" I ask. "I didn't. I just found this patch" Mao Mao says. "I see" I say softly turning back to the herb. "I usually make it a habit not to stick my nose into people's business. But since we're living in the same house, sharing the same husband, let me just say this" Mao Mao says, making me look up. "Rumors are usually just that... Rumors" she says. I nod slightly. "Is it true that your father has a pharmacy back home?" Mao Mao then asks. "Yes" I answer. "Did he teach you?" She asks. I smile. "He sure did" I answer. Mao Mao smiles. "Good. Would you help me picking these? The ripe ones at least" Mao Mao says. "Of course" I say. I start to pick the herbs and can't help to bring one to my nose every once in a while to take on the scent.

I stop during my stroll, to look at a beautiful flower. "It pales in comparison to your beauty" I hear Jinshi's voice. I smile. "You flatter" I say. "It's true" Jinshi says as he strokes some of my hair behind my ear. "Thank you. The flower is poisonous though" I say. "It is?" Jinshi asks surprised. "Yes, that was why I'm surprised to find it here in the inner court" I say. "Perhaps you should call for Mao Mao-san. She'd like to see this" I say. "She would" Jinshi says and nods at his attendant. "Are you specialized in poisons as well?" Jinshi asks. "Not really. I'm more specialized in healing herbs and plants. Medicine really. In my country woman can be doctors and my father wanted me to be one so my knowledge tends to be more on that side. But I do know enough about poisons" I answer. Jinshi chuckles.  "You two really compliment each other" he says. "Is that a bad thing, Zuigetsu-sama?" I ask. "Jinshi" he says. "And no. It was what I was hoping for" Jinshi smiles. "You needed me?" Mao Mao asks, looking slightly annoyed at me. "Akiko found something you might like" Jinshi says, nodding at the flowers. Mao Mao immediately has glittering in her eyes. "How did this get here?" She asks. "I don't know. I just found it" I say. "Don't..." Jinshi says as she reaches out for it. She then sighs, takes a handkerchief from her sleeve and wraps the flower in. "It is highly poisonous. We must keep our eyes out if there aren't any more, not if Lingli will start to come outside" Mao Mao says. "I could....make a round to check?" Mao Mao says. Jinshi chuckles. "Go ahead" he says and she immediately leaves. "Is she always that easy to read?" I ask. "When it comes to these things yes. When it comes to something like emotions no" Jinshi sighs. "It seems like it bothers you" I say, carefully. "Sometimes" Jinshi answers. "Then why did you marry her?" I ask. Jinshi smiles again. His breath taking smile. "Because I love her. She didn't treat me the way that everyone else does, because of my looks. So I love her. I can't help it" he shrugs. I smile politely but turn away