Chapter 3

Ka Zuigetsu (Jinshi) P.O.V.

It took me a long time before I convinced Mao Mao to marry me, especially when she found out who I really was. It took even a little longer to convince my mother and brother to allow our marriage. So I wasn't all to pleased when they proposed this second marriage to me, because her father is a famous doctor and pharmacist of her country. I was a little offended that because Mao Mao is a pharmacist, they would think that that is my taste, but we were just newly married. Emperor explained that he had offered the position as his consort, but they refused. He really wanted that bond, and her knowledge so asked me if I could take her on as a second wife. Mao Mao wasn't opposed. But when I first laid eyes on her, I agreed. She's tall, but still shorter than I am. She has beautiful womanly curves, and dark hair. But it's her eyes that attracted me to her. She's funny and kind, besides that she's very similar to Mao Mao, even though she's foreign. It makes it easy for me to deal with both of them. "I think Akiko is with child" Mao Mao says, just as I was about to take a sip of my tea. I lower my cup. "What makes you think that?" I ask. "I'm quite sure she hasn't had her bleed yet, and she's been here long enough that she should have at least once" Mao Mao says. "It's just a hunch, but considering you're spending nights with her regularly since she's arrived, it's not a crazy thought and bound to happen sooner than later" she says. "How would you even know about her bleed? It's quite a private thing" I say. "You keep visiting" she says. I raise my eyebrow. "I help with laundry sometimes" Mao Mao mumbles. "Mao" I sigh deeply. "I know, but it's a habit" she says. "Besides. I don't mind, I'd rather have her do it you know. But I thought I should share this information with you" Mao Mao says. "Thank you, my love" I say. "I have something else to deal with first" I say. "Hmm something bad?" Mao Mao asks, looking at me. I slide an envelope toward her. "This arrived today" I say. Mao Mao opens the envelope. "I see" she says. "I know" I mumble.

I find Akiko on the veranda with Mao Mao. Akiko has a troubled look on her face though. "What is wrong?" I ask. "My furin broke" she says. "Furin?" I ask. "A wind chime she got from her father" Mao Mao says, looking up from her wooden tablet. "I see" I say softly, sitting down between them. "I came to talk to you actually" I say. "Hm?" Akiko asks. "This was brought to me" I say, sliding the envelope toward her. As she reads it I can see her grow pale. "This can't be true" she says. "That was what I thought, but then this arrived" I say, placing a small box on the table. Akiko hesitates but then opens it. I can see her heart break in her eyes. "I'm so sorry for your loss, my darling" I say softly. Akiko raises her head, and is obviously trying to remain strong. "Thank you" she says. I place my hand on hers. "Is there something I can do? Would you like me to take you to a temple to do whatever you need to send him off in peace?" I ask. Akiko counts something on her fingers. "Please take me tomorrow" she says. "Of course" I say. "I am sorry for your loss" Mao Mao says. Akiko nods. Though barely visible, I can see her placing her hands on her stomach. "I'll go make some calming herb tea" Mao Mao says. I open my mouth to protest, but she sends me a stern look before walking off. "The timing couldn't be worse" Akiko groans as she places her hands on her face. "I don't think there's ever a good time to lose someone" I say. Akiko looks at me. "No, I know" she hesitates. "I might as well" she mumbles. "My bleeding is late" she says. "Days late or weeks late?" I ask. "Weeks" Akiko mumbles. "Any other symptoms?" I ask. "I'm nauseous, but that's just because of the news" Akiko says. "You're with child, Akiko-san. Congratulations" Mao Mao says as she puts a tray on the table. Akiko places her hands on her face again as she sobs softly. I pull my chair toward her, and softly rub her back. "It's hard to feel happy right now. I understand" I say softly. Mao Mao pours Akiko herbal tea. "Here, this should help with the nausea, and calm you a bit." She says softly. "Please drink it" Mao Mao says.

"Sorry I'm late" I say, walking into the room where the Emperor, my brother, and the Empress Dowager, my mother are waiting. "You are late, something the matter?" The Emperor asks. I sigh as I sit down. "Yes, but nothing that can be solved in time" I say. "Well, what is it?" Empress Dowager asks, as the servants pour us tea. "Akiko, my second wife, her father just ascended to the heavens" I say. "That's unfortunate. Poor girl" Empress Dowager says. "That's the trouble?" The Emperor scoffs. "She's with child" I say. They both stay silent for a bit. "The poor girl" Empress Dowager then says again. "Congratulations" The Emperor then says. "Thank you" I say, before taking the cup of my tea in my hands. "So what does little Mao think of it?" Emperor asks amused. "She's thrilled. She'd rather have Akiko do it than her. And to be honest I think that she has consumed to much poison her her life that I doubt that she would even be able to" I say. "Then why marry her?" Empress Dowager asks. "Why? Because I love her" I say. "I do not have to worry about heirs, with Akiko with me." I say. Both don't respond again for a while as we drink tea. "Is she doing well, despite the news?" Empress Dowager asks. "All things considering, yeah." I say. "That's good" she says. As soon as my cup is empty I stand up. "Leaving already?" The Emperor asks. "Please forgive me. I'd like to check up on my wife before I continue on with my duties" I say. "Of course. I wish her all the luck." Empress Dowager says. I bow to both of them before leaving. I find both Akiko and Mao Mao in Akiko's room. "Everything alright?" I ask, as Mao Mao pours tea. Akiko seems very pale. "She's very nauseous. Barely keeps anything in" Mao Mao answers. "These herbs should help, if they are brewed as a tea" Akiko says, then gets even paler. "Which I have. Please drink some" Mao Mao says, sliding it toward Akiko who starts to drink it. "Why are you here?" Mao Mao asks, looking at me. "I came to check on you, both" I say. "We're fine." She answers. I can't help but stroke some hair behind her ear as I smile. "Thank you, my love" I say. "Like I said before...." Mao Mao says dryly. "Yeah, Yeah I know" I sigh.