Chapter 15

Akiko P.O.V.

"Something the matter?" Kazue asks as she hands me a cup of tea. I take my hand from my belly and accept the tea from her. "I think I might be further along than we thought" I say, frowning slightly. "What makes you think that?" Kazue asks. "I can feel him kick already" I answer before taking a sip. Kazue smiles. "That's good. That means he's healthy" she says. "Does it?" I ask. "I know you've been through a lot, Akiko-sama. Please try to remain positive. It's better for the baby" Kazue says. I don't respond but the door behind her opens. Jinshi walks in with Mao Mao behind him. "I'll get some more tea" Kazue says with a bow and leaves. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" I ask. "We haven't seen you in a while. We came to check up" Jinshi says as he sits down. "I'm doing fine" I say, after taking another sip. When the baby kicks again, I place my hand on my belly for a second. "Everything alright?" Mao Mao asks, who apparently saw it. "Everything is fine" I say. "Acid reflux? I can make you something that will help?" Mao Mao asks. "It's not acid reflux. and I have my own recipe. It was just a kick from the baby" I say, slightly annoyed. "A kick? You shouldn't be able to feel that yet" Jinshi says surprised. "Yeah, well tell that to him" I say. "Are you perhaps further  along than we thought?" Mao Mao asks. I shrug. "I don't know" I say. "Can we know for sure?" Jinshi asks. "I don't think there is a way to know for sure." Mao Mao says. "Well, I guess then we have to make sure the crib is ready, way ahead of time." Jinshi sighs as he scratches his forehead. "My apologies" I say. "There's no need. It's not like it's your fault anyway" Jinshi says, smiling slightly. "No, it's yours" Mao Mao says dryly. "Hey" Jinshi says. They're trying to take away the discomfort. But they're trying to hard, making it even more uncomfortable. Kazue walks back into the room, put tea for Mao Mao and Jinshi on the table and leaves again. "I'll have to merchants come over, so the crib can be built" Jinshi says. "More than one?" I ask. "Yes. A crib is more than just some wood. It's a mattress, it's blankets." Jinshi says with a smile.

I'm not sure how to feel, when I see two sets of baby clothes in front of me. Pink and blue. "Unfortunately we know the sex when it's born, so we have to get a couple in both colors. And we have more made as soon as you have given birth" Jinshi says. I hesitate but then softly touch the fabric. It's so soft. "Is it not to your liking?" Jinshi asks carefully. "I'm just..." I hesitate again. "Tell me" Jinshi says softly as he sits down next to me. "I'm just hesitant to like something, or get excited about anything that has to do with this baby. Even it's kicks" I say, and place my hands on my belly. "You're scared that he's going to die again?" Jinshi asks. "How can I not be? I was so happy when I was pregnant with Tian...but he couldn't even hear my voice even once" I say. Jinshi frowns and takes my hand in his. "I understand your fear. I do. It's also always in the back of my mind" Jinshi says. "But it shouldn't be at the front. It's not healthy for you, and it won't do any good to the baby. Try to enjoy it. Try to be happy when he kicks, smile. Let him know that you love him too" Jinshi says. "You do..don't you?" He asks. I hesitate and then place my hand on my belly. "I do" I say. Jinshi smiles. "Then allow yourself to feel it" he says. I try to smile. "I'll do my best" I say. "I know you will" he says as he softly strokes my cheek. "So what do you think?" He asks, turning back to the baby clothes. "It's cute. I wouldn't mind if the baby would wear that when it's born" I say. Jinshi smiles, sincerely this time. "I'm glad" he says, taking the blue set. "This would look so good on him" he says. "What if it's a girl?" I ask, taking the pink one, and glide my fingertips over the soft fabrics once again. "Then she would look very cute in that" Jinshi says. I smile. "Yeah" I say softly. "But I've got a feeling that it's going to be a boy" he says. "Why is that?" I ask. "I can't explain" Jinshi says. "Just a feeling" he adds, with a smile. "Hmm" I say with a slight and amused frown.

A little curious I follow Gaoshun. "Where are we going?" I ask. "The emperor wants to speak with you" he says. "The emperor?" I ask surprised. Goashun doesn't respond, and I'm not really that surprised about it. I follow him through a few halls and paths, and I'm already lost but then he knocks on a door. "Yes" the emperors voice says. Gaoshun opens the door, and steps aside to let me in. I look at him suspiciously, but then walk in. Jinshi and the emperor are seated on comfortable sofa and there's another one across from a coffee table between them. I bow toward them. "You can raise your head" the emperor says amused. When I do, the person seated across from Jinshi and the Emperor turns his head. To my surprise it's my uncle. "Uncle?" I ask surprised, and he stands up with a smile when he sees me. "You look good, Akiko" he says walking up. "What are you doing here?" I ask confused. "The Shogun had to meet the emperor for certain meetings, and I tagged along. We're going back home tomorrow" he says. "Your husband thought that it would be good to see a family member" the emperor says amused. I smile at Jinshi and then look at my uncle. "When are you due? Your mother will be so happy when she hears this. Your father would have been too" he says. "I have a couple of months left" I say, placing my hand on my belly. "I have to go, before the Shogun thinks that I am plotting something" Uncle says and I am immediately overwhelmed with sadness. "I'm glad to have seen your face, and that I can tell your mother that you are doing well" Uncle says, placing his hands on my face. He smiles encouraging and I nod. Uncle bows to the emperor and Jinshi as he thanks them. One of the retainers walks with him, to bring him back to the Shogun. Leaving me alone with Jinshi, the Emperor and Gaoshun. I bow my head to them. "Thank you very much" I say. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy?" Jinshi asks worried. I gasp softly and touch my cheeks. "I am. I really am" I say, wiping the tears with my sleeves. "I guess I have missed my family more than I had thought" I say, with a smile. "Again, thank you very much" I say, bowing again.