Chapter 19

Kazue P.O.V.

I sit up when I hear a knock on my bedroom door. I hesitate but then do get out of bed. When I open the door, I see Basen. When I close the door again, Basen stops it with his hand. "When are you going to learn that Zuigetsu-sama's actions aren't mine" Basen hisses. I stop closing the door. "I'm only his attendant. His servant" Basen adds. I step aside to let him in and he does. "You didn't see her pain, when he took him, Basen-sama. She didn't eat, drink or sleep for days, longing for her son" I say. "I understand, I do. But that's no reason to be angry with me. I didn't do anything" Basen says. I sigh. "You're right. I'm sorry. Give me a minute" I say. I slip into Akiko-sama's room to check up on her and Taio. Both are sleeping peacefully so I quickly get back to my room. Basen pulls me toward him. "I've missed you" he whispers, pressing his lips against mine. I hesitate, but then I give in and kiss back. "I missed you too" I mumble against his lips before kissing him again. "I knew you can't stay mad at me" Basen says smiling as he wraps his arms around me. "It wasn't really you I was mad at. I have to take care of Akiko-sama. She has nobody" I answer. Basen makes me look at him. "I know. Our masters will always be before us. It's just how our life is. You won't meet anyone who will understand better." Basen says. I hesitate and nod. "I've known her since we were kids you know" I say softly. "I've known him since we were kids also. But this is between them. Akiko-sama may be here alone, but that doesn't mean my loyalty to Zuigetsu-sama is any different" he says. I don't respond and let Basen kiss me once more. "If she'd just talk to him again..." he then says. I immediately tense up. "So that's why you're here..." I say, stepping back. "Hmm?" Basen asks confused. "To make me, make Akiko-sama talk to Zuigetsu-sama again." I say. "No.. that wasn't my.." Basen starts but I interrupt him. "You have no idea...you have no idea all that man has done to hurt my lady" I say, seething. "You need to leave" I say, crossing my arms.

I can see, and I can feel Akiko's glances. But luckily she doesn't say, or ask anything. "Give my best to Minato" Akiko says smiling. I smile at her. "I'll be back soon." I say. I close the door behind me, and as I reach the intersection between a couple of halls, Jinshi and Basen are across from me. I bow my head and scoff silently before turning the corner. "How...how is she doing?" Jinshi asks. I stop. I hesitate and turn toward him. "You took her son away, to be raised by you and your first wife. She already felt like a breeding bitch, and you just confirmed it. Respectfully, how do you think she is doing?" I ask, trying to keep the hatred from leaking into my voice. "That was never my intention" Jinshi responds and he seems genuinely sad. "Right" I mumble silently. "If you'll excuse me" I say, bowing to them. "If I could just talk to her. If you'll allow me to explain..." Jinshi says. I sigh deeply. "You own us, Zuigetsu-sama. You can do whatever you want. You can go talk to her if you want to" I say. "But I wish you didn't." I add. "I wish you didn't. I wish you'd respect her enough to allow her to feel hurt and betrayed. Now if you'll excuse me" I say, bow again and leave. I almost run toward Minato's office. When I burst in, he looks at me with raised eyebrows. "God! I hate men, I hate them! Why did god ever made them" I say, kicking against the counter. "Well,  thanks a lot" Minato says dryly. I sigh and slump down into a chair beside Minato. "I'm sorry. It was not directed to you oniisama" I sigh. "I know" Minato says amused. "Talk to me" he says, leaning his lower back against his counter. I explain my brother everything and he frowns. "I get why you're being mad at Zuigetsu-sama, even though we don't know his motives." Minato says. "But as you take care of Akiko-sama, Basen does for Zuigetsu-sama. We don't know his mindset or emotions, Basen does. Don't blame him for doing his job. He obviously likes you, and you obviously like him. Don't keep trying to sabotage when something good comes your way. You're worth it, and it's high time that you start realizing it" Minato says.

I roll the crib so it's beside Akiko's bed, Taio keeps sleeping peacefully as Akiko lies down, pulling the blankets up to cover her. "Do you need anything else?" I whisper, smiling. "No thank you. Why don't you retreat and get some sleep as well" Akiko says. I smile and bow my head to her. "Thank you. For keeping Zuigetsu-sama out, and everything else that you do for me. I mean it. I really appreciate you being here for me" Akiko says. I place my hand on hers and squeeze slightly. "It's my pleasure" I say smiling. "Good night" I say. "Sleep well" Akiko says with a smile and silently I walk to my own room. I close the door behind me, and lean against it with a deep sigh. When there's a knock on my door, I already know who it is. I open the door and step aside to let Basen in. He seems surprised. "I don't need to plead?" He asks. "I can still close the door" I say. "I'm sorry" Basen says quickly and steps in. I close the door and cross my arms. "Do we really have to fight, every time something happens between your lady and my lord?" Basen asks, as he pulls me toward him. "Can't we rise above?" He asks. I take a deep breath and whimpers softly. "I hate this" I whisper as I allow him to pull me into his arms. "I'm sorry. This is hard" I whisper, leaning my head against his shoulder. "I know. I think it's hard as well. But I also think that this, between us is worth it. Don't you?" Basen asks. "I do" I nod as I look at him. "I do" I say. Basen smiles and kisses me. I wrap my arms around his neck as I kiss back. As our lips part, I hug Basen tightly. "Hey...it's alright" he whispers as he hugs back just as tightly. "I'm still here. That's really not enough to drive me away" Basen whispers. "Thank you" I breathe. Basen presses his lips against mine again, and soon the kiss deepens. As our tongues dance, Basen pulls me closer and I can feel his desire. "I have to go" Basen whispers when our lips part. "Why" I whisper sadly. "Because I'm afraid of what will happen if I stay" Basen says with a smile. "There's a time and a place for that, and this isn't it" he adds.