Chapter 11

Ka Zuigetsu (Jinshi) P.O.V.

It's also good for me to have Mao Mao and Akiko back in their own room. I don't have to hold back so much, to be considerate to the other. It's a hard thing having two wives. How does brother do that with all those consorts? Even though I'm a little sweaty, Mao Mao still leans her back against my chest. I press a kiss on her head as she pulls the blankets to cover us. "Do you mind if I spend the night?" I ask. "Of course not" Mao Mao says. I look at the scars covering Mao Mao's forearms, which she usually covers with bandages. "Would you still love me if I'm not able to get pregnant?" Mao Mao asks. I blink surprised. "Of course" I say. "What a silly thing to say" I say pressing another kiss on her head. "Why the question?" I ask. "Akiko is pregnant for the second time and she hasn't even been here for a year. We're married longer and I haven't become pregnant even once" Mao Mao says. I wrap my arms tightly around Mao Mao. "Akiko wouldn't be pregnant for a second time if Tian wasn't born prematurely" I say. "That's not the point is it?" Mao Mao says quickly. "We've known each other long enough, my love. You were a food taster, you consumed enough poison even before that position, who knows what it did to your body. I knew that before I married you. Yet I still did, doesn't that say enough?" I ask. Mao Mao leans her head against my shoulder. "I guess you're right" she sighs. "You have nothing to worry about my love" I say, pressing another kiss on my head. "I'm not worried" Mao Mao says. "Jealous then?" I ask smirking. "Just wondering" she answers. I sigh. "I was just teasing" I say. "But in all honesty, the one thing you don't ever have to worry about my love for you. If you would ask me, I would send Akiko back home" I say. "Don't be an idiot. You can't do that" Mao Mao says annoyed. "I sure can" I say. "Don't. It's really not necessary" Mao Mao says. "I'm fine with things the way they are. That doesn't mean that I wonder sometimes" she says. "Alright then" I say, and take Mao Mao's hands into mine. "Please keep talking to me. So I can put your mind at ease" I say softly.

I'm about to knock on the door when I hear the emperor and a familiar voice talk. I place my back against one of the double doors so I can listen. "Thank you for coming" the emperor says. "I didn't know I was still welcome here" the other says. Is that Ah Duo? "I invited you didn't I? Here I thought we were still friends" the emperor says with an amused tone in his voice. "I do have a matter that I wanted to discuss with you. Which is, as you suspected, why I invited you" the emperor says. "Is it Jinshi? Or do we call him Zuigetsu again?" Ah Duo asks. "It is" emperor answers. "You can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do. You've got a son now don't you? Make him the Crown Prince. That's how it was supposed to be, isn't it?" Ah Duo asks. "I've come to a bit of information that might change everything. And you are the only one who can tell me the truth and I hope that you do. We've been friends long enough for you to know that I won't get angry." The Emperor says. It's silent. "Is it true?" The emperor asks. "What are you asking me?" Ah Duo asks. "Did you switch them?" The emperor asks. Again it's silent. "Did you switch our son with the Empress Dowagers? Is Zuigetsu my son?" The Emperor asks. I almost drop my fan in surprise but catch it just in time. "If you already know the answer, why ask me?" Ah Duo asks. "I need to hear it" the emperor says. "I did" Ah Duo says. I can't hear anymore so I knock and walk in. I was expecting the emperor to look angry, instead he looks at her with sympathy. "How you must have suffered" he says. "Oh excuse me? Am I early?" I ask. "No you're on time" he says, looking at me. He then looks at Ah Duo and then chuckles. "I should've seen it" he says. Ah Duo smiles. "Don't be angry with me" she says. "I'm not. I understand" the emperor says. I pretend not to understand what is going on. "If you'll excuse us, I have to have a talk with Zuigetsu." The emperor says. "It doesn't change anything" Ah Duo says. "It does though. Make yourself at home, have dinner with me" the emperor says and then makes me follow him.

I stare out of the window while leaning my chin on my hand. Almost everyday now the emperor and I argue, because he want me to be the crown prince and I don't want to be. Now that we found out that I am actually his son, his pressuring me even more. "Zuigetsu-sama" I look up to see Basen in front of my desk with a young man beside him. "Oh I'm sorry, I was a bit lost in my thoughts. You must be Minato" I say. "I am" the man says. "You must wonder why I summoned you?" I ask amused. "A little bit" he answers. "I heard you know my wife, Akiko" I say. "I do" he says. "Have you heard that she is pregnant?" I ask. "No. But I had my suspicions when she bought certain herbs from me" Minato shrugs. "Ah yes. I heard you were an apprentice pharmacist. Is that the only thing that you were trained in?" I ask. "I was more of an assistant to my late master" Minato says. "I see" I say. "I would like to offer you a position here" I say. Minato raises his eyebrows. "Like I said, Akiko is pregnant. I haven't found the right attendant for her. Then I thought she'd likely feel less lonely when that person is from her own country" I say. "Which of course means you'll have a room in the servants area, and you'll be fed everyday as well as a good salary" I say. "And what would my job subscription be?" Minato asks. "You'd have to be with her from the time that she wakes up until she goes to bed and tend to her every need" I say. "I am sorry, I cannot accept such a position. Not with my qualifications. Of course I'd like Akiko to be less lonely, but I'm not the right person. But my little sister would be suitable for that job. I can write to her, see if she'd be interested" Minato says. For a moment I don't respond. "Please do" I say. "If we would find a more suitable position with your qualifications, would you stay for example assistant to our doctor?" I ask. Minato smiles. "Are you sure that your first wife would agree to that? From what I hear both she and Akiko are more than capable to assist him" he says. I smile. "Yes, but they can only help in the inner court. Not the outer court" I say.