Chapter 9

Akiko P.O.V.

In my country, spring means good fortune. That's why everything begins in spring. Every new school or business year starts in spring, because it would be good fortune. I was surprised to learn that it's here as well. I was happy to learn that the merchant caravan would come in spring, and since we're the imperial brother's wife, we're allowed to go right after the Empress and the Empress Dowager. Which means that there's plenty to choose from. I gasp happily when I see a stall with herbs and spices from my country. "Hmm?" Mao Mao asks as she turns around. "You can go ahead. I'll buy quite some from this merchant" I say. "I can wait, it's interesting enough." Mao Mao says. "Akiko-chan, is that you?" I hear in my own language. I look up to see a childhood friend. Someone I thought I would going to marry some day. "Minato.." I say, a little surprised. "So you joined the merchant caravan huh?" I ask softly, sadly. "There was nothing for me left over there after your father died" Minato says, sadly as well. "About that... I'm sorry for your loss" he says. "Thank you" I say. "This is a childhood friend of mine" I say to Mao Mao. "Nice to meet you" she says. "Likewise" Minato says, in this language. "So, need me to stock you up?" Minato asks grinning. "Yes. I can't get these over here, so get me plenty" I say, handing him some gold coins. "Will do" he says. "I had hoped to see you looking better" Minato says. "I have felt better" I answer. "Oh, would you please put some extra from that" I say in our native tongue. Minato doesn't respond for a bit. "Will do. On the house" he says. I smile and turn to Mao Mao to leave. "Try to come see me again, before the caravan leaves. I'd love to have a chat" Minato says. "I'll try" I say, before walking away with Mao Mao. "You should. He was a friend, wasn't he?" She asks. "Well yeah" I say. "When would you have the chance again?" She asks. I don't respond and we walk from stall to stall. I was surprised by the amount of beautiful and quality good hanfu, so I bought some, as well as some jewelry. I also had Mao Mao inform me as she purchased herbs from another stall. I had fun, even though my mind wondered.

"Here you go" Minato says, as he hands me a cup with hot liquid. "You remembered" I say smiling after taking a sip. "Of course, your father drilled it into me" Minato chuckles as he sits down next to me on his carriage. "So, tell me. Why the look? Usually when someone takes these herbs, it's a happy thing" Minato says. "Not within these four walls" I answer. "Why?" He asks. "It's a bit hard to explain. The consorts, it's hard for them you know. Some aren't even really happy." I say. "My husband used to work there, pretending to be a eunuch as a bet with the emperor. He is a handsome man and a lot fell for him" I add. "I lost my baby, because one of them couldn't contain their jealousy" I say bitterly. "I see. I assume the person was punished properly?" Minato asks. "She was put to death" I answer. "The only suitable punishment" Minato says. "So you're not happy here?" Minato asks. "Some days I am, some days I'm not" I answer honestly. "My husband is good to me. And he tries very hard to make me happy" I say smiling. "I'll be fine. You don't have to worry" I add. Minato doesn't respond for a bit. "You can come with me" he says. I chuckle. "How?" I ask. "I can hide you in here when we leave. And we'll be gone before anyone notices" Minato says. This time I don't respond. "My uncle is advisor to the shogun now. He'll be punished in my stead. My family will be killed. I'm sorry it's not worth the risk" I say. I take Minato's hand. "I'll be fine. We'll be fine. This time" I say. Minato takes a deep breath and sighs. "Fine. If you say so. I'll trust you. But I put something extra in your order. Your father would've wanted it so make sure you take it correctly" Minato says. "Father would be proud, to see his apprentice like this" I say. "I'm not sure. I don't know if he'd be too happy to see me become a traveling merchant" he says. "Why did you?" I ask. "Your sister took over the shop instead of me. She let me know she didn't need my help. Like I said, there was nothing left for me there" Minato says. "I guess he's disappointed in us right now huh?" I mumble sadly.

"I heard they had nice things at the market" Jinshi says, walking in. "They did" I say, blowing softly into my cup before taking a sip. "Did you buy some things?" He asks, as he sits down on the sofa next to me. "Some things from my home country, and some hanfu" I say. Jinshi smiles. "I'm glad" he says. "What are you drinking?" He then asks. "Special tea, for my health" I say. "I see. From your country?" Jinshi asks and I nod. "How did it get here? With the merchants I mean" Jinshi asks. "That's the thing about merchants isn't it? They can get stuff that we can't?" I ask amused. "Yeah I guess" Jinshi answers. "But in this case, my father's apprentice joined the merchant caravan with herbs and spices from my country" I say. "Oh so you met someone you knew? That's nice" Jinshi says. "I guess" I shrug. "Is it not?" He asks. I sigh. "It just reminded me of what used to be. That's painful" I say. "Hmm, in that case, I'm sorry" Jinshi says, stroking my hair behind my ear. "It wasn't all bad. We had a good talk, and he gave me a good bargain for some things I can never get here" I say. "That's good" Jinshi says with a slight smile. It's silent for a bit, but a comfortable one. "My love..." I say, and hesitate. "Will our rooms be ready soon?" I ask. "I don't know, honestly. They're restoring some of the woodwork. A couple of weeks more maybe?" He answers and scratches his jaw. "I will find out for you. Do you want to leave that badly?" Jinshi asks, looking at me. "Not per se" I answer. "But I'm sure you and Mao Mao would like some of your privacy back" I say. And pretty soon I won't be that much fun to be around. "Hmm. I will find out" Jinshi says, though he seems a little suspicious. "Are you alright?" Jinshi asks, after another long silence. I smile. "I'm fine" I say, putting my empty cup on the table. But before Jinshi can say anything again, the door opens and Mao Mao walks in. "Hello. Did you have a nice day?" Jinshi asks, as she sits down across from us. "Yeah I had" Mao Mao says. "A bit tired though" she adds. "You can take a nap before dinner" Jinshi says. "If I do, I won't wake up" she mumbles.