Chapter 17

Akiko P.O.V.

A wet nurse was offered to me, but since I don't really have official duties, since I'm the second wife, and I usually spend my time alone or helping Mao Mao, I refused. Besides I enjoy feeding Taio, and I like staring at him as he lies next to me after being burped. It's what I'm doing right now. I have large bed, so we both could sleep here. But Kazue always takes him away as soon as I fall asleep. It's just safety I think. "Is she sleeping?" I hear Jinshi ask softly. "They're awake still, but not for long I think so if you want to talk, you should hurry" Kazue answers. Soon Jinshi appears beside the bed. "Hi my darling, how are you doing?" He asks. I smile as one hand rests underneath my head and the other is resting on Taio. "We're fine." I say. "Seems like you drank a bunch huh? You seem very satisfied and sleepy" Jinshi says to Taio and presses a soft kiss on his little cheek. "He is" I say softly. It's silent for a while as Jinshi stares at Taio and softly strokes his cheek. "What's wrong?" I ask. "The emperor wants to meet him. He wants to meet his..." Jinshi hesitates. "His grandson" he says. "And so does my mo- the woman who raised me" he adds. "If she raised you, and you consider her your mother, there's no shame in calling her that" I say. "The emperor and Ah Duo certainly don't mind. Does she also want to meet him?" I ask. "Probably, I think" Jinshi mumbles. "Well. We can work something out, can't we?" I ask. "Are you sure?" Jinshi asks. "I enjoy staying in bed with him, but I do know that at some point I have to get out and return to life outside of this room" I say amused. "I can see if the emperor has time somewhere next week?" Jinshi asks. "That's fine" I say. "And maybe Ah Duo some time after that" he says. "Yeah, that's alright. Let me know" I say. Jinshi smiles. "Yeah" he says. Jinshi then presses a kiss on Taio's head. "Sleep well, my beautiful boy" he whispers, as he sees that Taio is sleeping. Jinshi then stands up. "You too, my darling" he says as he presses a kiss on my head. "Have a good day, Zuigetsu-sama" I say softly.

The Emperor holds Taio, with one hand under his head and neck, and the other behind his back and butt. He brings Taio, who doesn't seem bothered, to his face. Somehow this makes me nervous. The Emperor then smiles. "Yes. Your Dad gave you a good name. Taio is good. You're a bit on the small side but you were early. But I think you'll have good fortune and a good future" he says, he then lowers Taio and puts him back on his arm. I sigh silently, and invisibly of relief. He lowers Taio so his own son and daughter can look. "This is your cousin. I expect you to be kind to him, and care for him. Protect him when needs be. You can do that can't you?" The Emperor softly says to Lingli and the Crown Prince. They both softly say that they will. Gyokuyou smiles kindly at me and I smile back. He then hands Taio to her, and she smiling cradles him. "Has the Empress Dowager visited?" The Emperor asks. "She has, yesterday" Jinshi answers. "I received a congratulatory letter from Ah Duo yesterday" The Emperor says amused as he glances at Jinshi. "Does word spread so fast these days?" He asks. "I send her a letter" Jinshi answers. This surprised the Emperor. "You did?" He asks. "She's the one that gave birth to me, did she not? I thought she ought to know that I became a father. If she want to, and you'll allow it, I'll have her come and visit him" Jinshi says. A soft expression appears on the Emperors face, for just a moment. "I'll allow it" he says. "He is such a precious boy." Gyokuyou says, as she places Taio back on my arms. "He is, thank you" I say, pressing a kiss on his little head. "Please feel welcome to come visit us, and to take him with you. It can be quite overwhelming being a new mother" she says. I bow my head to her. "Thank you" I say softly. "Can I touch him?" I look up and see little Lingli at my knees. "You can stroke his cheek if you want to" I say, lowering Taio slightly so she can reach him. "Can I give him a kiss?" Lingli asks. I smile. "Of course you can" I say. Lingli does so quickly, then giggling runs to her parents who smile proudly.

"I know Zuigetsu-sama is not here yet, but would you like to hold him?" I ask, walking over to Ah Duo with Taio in my arms. "I would love to" She says. I place Taio carefully in her arms and she smiles gently. "What a precious boy" she whispers, as I sit down as well. "Thank you" I smile. "Listen carefully, Akiko" Ah Duo says, suddenly serious. "You're the mother of the first born son, and he'll probably be Zuigetsu's heir. This means that a lot is going to change for you. You'll have way more responsibilities now, and there will be a lot expected from you" she says. "I know it's overwhelming and I know that you are scared. But please know that you can reach out to me, whenever you feel overwhelmed, or whenever you need something. I have the emperors ear so please don't hesitate to reach out" Ah Duo says. "Why are you telling me this?" I ask, feeling a bit overwhelmed. Ah Duo smiles. "Because XiaoMao has Gyokuyou in her corner, it's only fair that you have someone in yours, who has the Emperors other ear" Ah Duo says with a smile and a wink. I bow to her. "Thank you very much" I say softly. "Please raise your head, you gave me a beautiful grandson, even though officially it won't be seen that way. We know the truth" She says. "Sorry I'm late" Jinshi says as he walks in. "Don't be." Ah Duo says. "Oh, you already met him" Jinshi says, sounding slightly disappointed. "Yes, I'm sorry that I was early. He is beautiful. So precious" Ah Duo says. "Thank you. I am very proud" Jinshi says as he sits next to me. Ah Duo smiles, though she seems a little sad as she holds Taio close. She then takes a deep breath, sighs and presses a kiss on top of his little head. "Take good care of him" she says as she stands up, and places him in Jinshi's arm. "Yes, intend to" he says as he starts cradling Taio, who started fussing. I pour tea for both Ah Duo and Jinshi. "Has the emperor seen him?" Ah Duo asks. "Yes. He is very proud" Jinshi answers. Ah Duo chuckles. "I'm sure he is" she says. Jinshi managed to calm Taio down, and smiling I softly stroke his cheek. When I glance at Jinshi, I see the same pride I see in Ah Duo's eyes.