Chapter -19 Hidden Secret

Michelle Pipes

"Layla Weklic, fancy seeing you in this fancy juice shop with," I tilted my head towards Jaro, "my tenant," I stopped with sarcasm, looking at her lemonade and Jaro's orange juice. 

"Looks like you finally moved on from your ex-husband Barry," I mocked. 

This bitch. I am certain that she adjoined this scumbag Jaro to discuss about her dopey half-sister. And this moron most definitely would have exposed me if I didn't arrive here on time. 

"I am jocular to see you with someone else finally, you know, I had no idea it was him you were going to meet when you left work," I dragged. "but I can't help but ponder, what would your lass think. Though it is rather odd, you have my full support, my dear friend," I smiled bluntly. 

"It's good to have your support, Michelle, I appreciate it. I do. And I am content with the fact you just called me dear friend, even though you always behaved the other way. Thank you for giving me support in a matter that doesn't even exist and you didn't seem to clarify before jumping to your drastically witless conclusions. But, thank you for your full support. It's finally good to have your support for once my dear friend," She ended reflecting my same blunt smile. 

That shit left me speechless. Layla never came out like that at me in the workplace where we work together or in personal matters. No matter how much I pushed her, she always had been like a female protagonist with extreme kindness and tenderness in a fairytale. But now she burst out at me like an antagonist with gall.  

What a day, having had to hear shit from this grimalkin. Well, beggars can't be choosers. I will have this harlot get the fate that her sister got one day.  

"It seems like I have mistaken about you both, a mistake happens. don't take it to heart," I placed a hand on her shoulder. I want to choke her for mocking, imitating and almost insulting me indirectly. "But still I am left with intrigue to know about this encounter," I fake smiled showing her no sign of my disgust or hatred.  

"Jaro is an old acquaintance. We were just catching up on old stuff," She breathed looking at me as if it was answer enough. "I am left with intrigue too, shouldn't you be at the hospital at this hour?" her golden eyes demanded an answer. 

"Yes. But my son Ben is sick. He called me from our neighbour's phone and unfortunately, my car broke and I happened to see you here. Could you please give me a ride home," I almost pleaded with her.

But for some reason, she doesn't seem convinced. "My phone is dead too, or else I would have called my husband to look after my Ben," I said hoping to make her convince. 

"I will book you an Uber," she stated unlocking her phone. Shit, this is bad. Who knows what my ex might reveal to this woman when I leave? I have to do something. Anything. I had to make her leave now before my past barged in on my present. 

"No," I blurt out. It made both Jaro and Layla startle. He is giving me one of his mean looks to me. He knows what I am doing.

"What's wrong with an Uber?" Jaro questioned, giving me a roguish grin. 

"It would take time to come," I blurted with chagrin. "Layla, please. I need to see my son soon. His fever might be serious. It wouldn't hurt you to give me a ride," I insisted. She seemed to be battling with her thoughts about whether to leave or not. After a brief movement, she got up from her chair.    

I pulled out the mother sentiment card. It had to work. 

"Yes, it wouldn't hurt. And I can't see Ben hurt, let's go," She finally agreed, fixing her blonde hair. "We will meet again soon," She told Jaro picking up her car keys.

I am walking with her to her car. We will meet again soon. I can't get this out of my head. She will assuredly meet him soon enough. I can't always prevent that, unless, I warn Jaro to shut his goddamn mouth. 

We reached to her blue Chevrolet car. "I forgot my phone on the table," I said out of nowhere. "You go in, I will be a minute," I rushed near the table they sat without looking at her for her response. 

He still was at that table, sipping his orange drink. Classic Jaro.

"What do you want now? An Oscar for your acting?" He taunted. 

"I have no intention of becoming an actress," I chirped. "Jaro, I know she called you here to talk about Mary. You can not tell her anything. Just say you don't know. It's best if you leave," I urged. 

"I do not plan on leaving." His raven eyes stated. 

"Then she will not stop until she rips answers out of your mouth," I spat. 

"Perhaps, it's time she got to know answers about her sister's disappearance," he declared. "Scared that Layla will get to know how you hurt her precious little sister Mary?" He arced a brow. 

"No. Maybe I did hurt her," I orated. "But do not forget, you were the one that hid her body," I smiled wickedly. "Though I had to appreciate you, you did a good job in hiding her body. 20 years and no one found out. Not even my dedicated husband who never missed a case. Where did you even hide her," I questioned out of curiosity. 

"I was young and foolish and was madly in love with you," He raged with great regret in his eyes. 

"Doesn't matter. You did a crime too. Accept it or not," I demanded. 

"But I didn't kill her," He shouted. He looked so lost with overwhelming emotions but after taking a deep breath he finally seemed to calm down. "Mary did mention you to her sister a couple of times. But Layla doesn't know what your name is. She demanded that I say your name," He stopped. 

I am doomed. 

"Ignore her. Or leave or give a fake name. I don't care. You can not say my name. If you do, if she knows, remember, I will drag you down with me. I drown, you drown. Be wise and shut your ass," I warned him seriously. 

"It had been our hidden secret for nearly 2 decades. Let it stay hidden. No one has to get hurt by unravelling it," I convinced him. 

He didn't reply. It looked like he finally understood what I mean. I am sure he is not stupid to reveal my name when he knows now I will sabotage him with me. I left for Layla's car. 

"Took you long enough," She said with disgust. I ignored it and chose to be in solitary. 

Layla was silent the whole time and didn't utter a word. We finally reached my home. I got off her car "Thank you," I said. Just when I was entering the house, she came with me. I gave her a surprising look. 

"Ben is like a son to me too, just wanna make sure that he is okay," She swallowed. 

I spotted Ben watching TV and laughing. Before I could go, Layla reached towards him with a hug. 

"Aunt Layla," Ben hugged her back. 

"Hey, little man. How did you catch a fever?" She asked him running her hands in his hair. 

Shit.

"I did not-" Ben didn't finish his sentence. 

"I appreciate your concern, Layla," I breathed. "I think you have works and I don't wanna keep you away from your works," I sighed reaching towards Ben. "As I am here now, you have nothing to worry about him. Mother knows her kid best," I concluded. She nodded and left. 

"Is that so, mom?" A voice startled me. That voice was Lana's. 

Q/A

Q. Did you ever have a hidden secret?

A-

Author's Note:

Stay tuned to know what happened to Mary. Please read, vote if you like and comment your views. It would mean a lot ❤️

                       👻