Chapter - 28 The Spider and a Fly

Jaro Briggs

"What?" I rasped with utter confusion.

"Are you deaf?" Lana mocked entering into my house with firm seriousness in her tone. "Where did you guys graduate school?" She added a question.

"At Shady Vale High School. Why?" I answered.

"Bring that book you showed me yesterday." She ordered.

"It's Monday morning. Shouldn't you be at school at this hour?" I expressed my curiousness unable to keep track of this damsel's eccentric behaviour.

"I bunked." She sounded irritated. "You wanted me to hear your story. Now is your turn. I am ready to listen. Make my while worth it. If I find out you are fabricating false things or thwacking the truth, I will be the reason for your quietus. Quit squandering seconds and hurry up. Quick," She stopped.

With no other option left, I started my car.

"I thought you were still belabored and delirious from yesterday's events. You still seem to be in inhibition. Especially now, when things are rough with your boyfriend, clash with your chum and Roger is on the loose. This will surely add more to your poignant and worth. You already are feckless now," I expressed my concern suspecting her gall behavior.

I don't think she has the heart to take in her Mom's defiance and deadly nature. Not yet. This may tear her apart even though every part of me is itching to expose Michelle's true colors.

"You know my Dad used to tell me this little tale when I was younger." She articulated out of nowhere, seeming to be lost in her open world. "There was a spider. You know spiders, they are predators and prey on insects," She implied.

"Once a baby fly fell into a web of a spider. It was very small, scary, and lost. The spider wanted to feast on its prey but instead pitied the spider. Since then spiders have flown in their webs, as their children. Taking care of and well fed. Eventually, spiders grew old and couldn't pick much prey. On the other hand, fly grew into a healthy fly," She said looking at me with her beautiful blue eyes.

"One day, the spider couldn't find its food. It was devastating. Hunger blinded its humble nature. It saw the fly. The fly which it took care of as its child. It ate the fly," She ended the story, wiping a tear from her eyes that I didn't notice until now.

"You see, I always loathed the spider for behaving ruthlessly in my childhood. But as I grew older, I understood the nature of animals. Spider killed the fly because it didn't have feelings and emotions. The very thing that distinguishes humans from animals." She concluded with a heavy sigh.

"What if my Mom is a spider? I and brother are the files?" She said with disturbing dismay.

"In your story, there was no one to the fly to help and fight back. But you have. You and Ben are not files, Lana. You guys are humans and I believe you can fight back the spiders in your life," I assured.

She gazed at me with intensity, her beautiful pink lips curling into a slight smile. It's one of her silent thank you, without actually saying thank you. I smiled back.

..................

We got out of my car, staring at the Juvenile school in front of us. Shadyvale Juvenile School it says. We drove up 30 miles to the place where I and Michelle met and spent most of our teenage hood.

"You think they are gonna let you in?" I asked raising a brow.

"You thought I drove up 30 miles with an imbecile like you without any preparation? I have my ways," She taunted showing me her fake ID with the name Mary Canon. The same ID she used to get into the bar.