Chapter - 27 Key hole dress

Lana Pipes

"Lana, we are sorry, it took more time than we have assumed," My Mom articulated. In the voice message she left, she said she would be here by morning but they arrived at 2 in the afternoon.

"It's alright," I assured. "What happened between Uncle Hunter and Aunt Mal?" I raised a question out of curiosity.

"Nothing new. They are thinking of getting divorced and leading their separate lives," She raised her brows with uncertainty.

"What will happen to their son? It will affect him." I wondered.

"They do love each other, Lana. But their ego is bigger than their affection. Your Dad and I tried to talk out things and put some sense into their heads. Let's hope that they take our advice," She said handing me over the lunch parcels they bought.

"This is yummy," I avowed, taking a bite of a crunchy maple syrup waffle.

"How have you been? You don't look so well," Mom theorized.

"I should hit the sack," I said taking another bite and left for my room.

..............

"Lana," I heard my Mom's pleasant voice. "Wakey wakes up sleepy bird," She sang.

"Why? Today is Saturday. It's not like I have school to wake up and leave," I drawled.

"But it's evening. You have been sleeping for 4 hours now. Wake up let's go to the mall and buy some fascinating dresses," She declared in great excitement.

"I have no mood," I stated.

"No. You have to wake up. Go and freshen up asap sleepy head," She chided and pulled my blanket. I gave an enraged look. She pouted. She is so stubborn to the bones.

I pulled myself with great difficulty and freshened up. My mom sat in the driver's seat humming to some music.

"What's up with you? You look like someone snatched something precious from you. Are you alright, sweetheart?

I am not. But I am sure she won't understand it. She never liked my friends she would be delighted to hear that. And I very well can't say about a gnarly encounter I had with Jaro. I have no one to share nor cry over their shoulder to get comforted.

"I am fine." I lie.

She pulled the car at the gigantic shopping mall that now appears in front of us. The usual happy silly me would have jumped out of joy and enjoyed picking up dresses but now I just feel elegiac. Empty.

We walked around and Mom picked a few red, blue, and white capris. A pair of torn jeans brown and black. "What type of shirts do you want?" She asked looking at the shirts section.

"Whichever looks fancy," I remarked.

"How about this blue keyhole frock? It's pattern is bewitching," I explained stunned by its beauty.

"No. How many times do I need to remind you? Anything but not keyhole pattern dresses," She warned me, pushing that dress right where I pulled it from.

"What's your beef with keyhole dresses?" I protested, trying to take that dress again.

"I just said no," She argued again shoving that dress back.

"You are weird," I shouted and went to another section of clothes and picked a few T-shirts and a white off-shoulder short frock.

"This is perfect," My Mom said holding that white frock. I gave a fake smile. She went to the billing section and I wandered around. My blue eyes again spotted that blue keyhole frock. I liked it a lot. I took it and went to the trial room.