Chapter - 22 Listen

Lana Pipes

"Mom, are you okay? I was worried to death about you. Thank the sweet lord," I thanked Jesus holding my hands together. 

"I thought you would be happy if I was gone," She coughed with repugnance.

"Mom, don't you dare say that," I burst into tears. "I fainted with trepidation after hearing that you..." I stopped, trying to breathe as I was filled with a rollercoaster of emotions of guilt, fear and tension. 

"Are you okay now? Did you eat and rest well? Are you weak? Come here," She offered her hands widely to hug. Without a second thought, I jumped into her arms delicately. I feared I wouldn't be able to embrace her warm touch. Her hand started to pat my back affectionately. 

"I am okay. Does it hurt badly?" I questioned staring at her head bandage and the bruises on her left leg. That truck reprobate hit her hard. I will see his end. 

"I will be fine, do not worry about me," She said untangling me from her hug. "You should take care of yourself, having had a panic attack can be rough for a few days," She said tugging a strand of my curly hair to my ear. "By the way where is Ben?" Her eyes searched.

"He is with Layla," I sighed. I also disclosed how lionhearted he acted by calling Layla and waiting for Dad. She smiled at that information. Her beautiful smile. It enlightened me with joy. 

"And about the answers," She worded. 

"Mom, it's okay. You don't have to say now. You can tell me when you are fine or not. That's your wish. As you suggested earlier, perhaps I should've been quiet," I avouched. 

"No. I should've told you. Sometimes I forget how fast you grew up. You are almost an adult now. You deserve to know everything. So listen," She murmured.   

"Jaro was my junior at the high school. Layla's sister Mary and he were classmates. They were in the same orphanage." She whispered. 

"Okay, so you guys went to the same school?" 

"Only junior and senior year."

"Why were you in such a rush when you heard me say that Aunt Layla was going to meet Jaro," I questioned. 

"You see Lana, I don't think Jaro is a good person," She said with a twisted expression. 

"What does that mean Mom? Do you guys hate each other something? Why does he act like you mugged his precious property or worse?" I blurted. 

"Lana, he was in love with me, he was so obsessed with me and I didn't like him. So he started to play dirty by spreading false rumours about me. His scuttlebutts were grim," Her eyes saddened. "That's the reason I wanted him to leave and warned you to shun him. 

I was blank. That was one hell of an answer and I wasn't prepared to heed.

"I was strained to learn about his meeting with Layla because I am sure he would inculpate me for Mary's obscure. Even worse he would fabricate some fantasy to make you fellas believe I am capable of heinous felonies," She concluded. 

"That's the reason he tried to frame you for my peanut butter phobia," I whispered trying to process everything. And that monochrome painting beside his trash can was indeed hers. He drew her?

"Yes. You see, that's what he does. He made my life a living hell in high school. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He is a mastermind in manipulating the matters in his favour." She commented.

"Mom," I fondled her hand. "This all must have been hard on you seeing that scoundrel getting his way then and now. I had been such a clod. I am sorry," I begged holding her hands. "I shouldn't have behaved the way I behaved with you. And for a second even I believed in his web of lies of accusing you of my phobia.  Please can you forgive me?" I squeezed her hands feebly.