Chapter - 30 Murderer

Dedicated to HeavensPearl

Lana Pipes

My gore-stained hands were shaking while Roger was growling and battling to keep his breath even. Hanging onto his dear life, like a fish struggling to survive on land when it was taken out of water. 

"Lana Mary Pipes, please. You are not only your Mom's daughter, you are also your Dad's daughter. Do not forget that. Now, please, please let me help him. Drop the knife. Let us take him to the infirmary maybe he can still make it out alive," Jaro convinced me. 

I glanced at his stomach, where I pierced a knife aggressively. "What happened to me? This isn't me. Am I becoming my mother?" I bawled. "You, you twat, you better not die or I will kill you again," I gurgled at Roger. 

Jaro looked at me as if he saw a mental patient. He and I dragged Roger into his car while Roger swore at us the whole time. 

I don't know what Jaro is thinking of me. I am not even sure what to think of myself. If Roger dies, I will be a killer. A murderer. I can think of all this as an act of self-protection but I can't turn a blind eye to my impulsive behavior. Most of all, I can't shrug off that blood-curdling voice that persuaded me into doing this malicious thing. 

That voice, is that what happens to Michelle? Does it prevail on her too? Is that why she acts the way she does? My grandfather, whom I never heard of in my entire life was sentenced to prison for killing my grandmother, did this happen to him too? Is this any mental illness that is chasing us?

"Lana, Lana. Are you alright?" Jaro looked at me driving his car, dread filling his eyes. "You weren't yourself back then. You frightened me. I am just-" He cut off the sentence, unsure how to put it out. Roger is lying in the back seat. 

"I don't know what happened. I didn't mean to," I cried finally feeling something in my cold heart. Regret hitting me hard. "I just wanted to scare him off, so he wouldn't come but there was this, this something inside me a serpentine voice urging to me do this all," I sobbed. 

"I didn't know from where he came so abruptly. I didn't even notice him following. He ruined my relationship with Glendora and Paxton through Neil and he still wanted to kill me," I broke. "He was never gonna stop. So, I, I-" I brought my hand to my mouth, burying my face with my palms. Irritated and mortified and unable to justify myself. 

"Let's hope that he lives," Jaro said, plainly. 

"I should go to the cops. My Dad is a cop and his daughter is a murderer. Such a twisted fate," I let out a sarcastic laugh and we reached the local hospital.

"You still aren't. Do not jump to conclusions," He said calling the emergency department to attend to Roger. They took him on a stretcher while his brown eyes looked at me with hatred. 

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I never intended to. I only wanted you to pay for your sins, so I sent you to jail. But I am no saint either and I will pay for my sins but please live," I told him genuinely. The compounder and nurses took him to the hospital. 

I and Jaro followed him. We sat in the waiting room, expecting better news at the same time preparing for the worst news. I glanced at my watch, it was 2 pm. Jaro left to get something and I barely noticed his absence. 

"You should eat something. You will feel better," Jaro handed over a burger. 

"I am not hungry," I lied. 

"So, if you starve he will be alright?" Jaro arced a brow. 

I made a frustrated face and took a bite. Well, I will be lying if I say, I am not feeling better. That's when I realize, no matter how fucked up you are, your system always needs food to survive.