Chapter 23

I didn't bother opening my eyes again once I fell asleep, knowing I'd be back in Nightmare's wonderful place.

I know you're awake, human. You wouldn't be here if you weren't asleep in your world.

I sighed heavily and opened my eyes to the darkness. Why can't I ever have a peaceful rest...?

Because I chose you out of everyone. You get to experience all the joys of multiversal travel.

I glanced over to see Nightmare on his throne, looking down at me as I laid on my back in the middle of the room.

Yeah, it was all fun until I ended up the target of two evil people.

Nightmare rolled his eye. That freak is not getting you again.

Possessive much?

He gave a toothy grin. You're MY source of negativity what with the multiverse being all but destroyed. Like I've said multiple times, I don't need you dead. Maybe just on the brink of it.

I sighed again, painfully rolling over and getting on my knees. I noticed the bandages were on me and my arm was still in a sling. Huh...I guess things in my world will transfer over to here, but not entirely vice versa unless it's an injury while in some form of confinement from XGaster. That's pretty interesting...

I took a deep breath and let it out. I then proceeded to slowly get to my feet, wincing all the while. I did manage it, though. Unsteady, but manageable.

Nightmare just watched me with a smirk on his face. Once I was sure I wasn't about to fall down, I glared at him. Some part of me wishes you would just find someone else to torment all the time, but I have a feeling that because of XGaster, you can't quite do that.

You'd be correct, human. Until you die, I'm stuck with you. You should feel lucky that I'm not bored with you yet.

Hooray, me... I mumbled sarcastically.

Nightmare hummed. Sarcasm won't get you very far here.

It's gotten me pretty far, actually...

Pretty far into trouble, perhaps.

I...that...ugh, okay, you got me there...

Nightmare sat back on his throne, looking at me curiously. Seeing other humans in your world, you have a vastly different reaction to danger than they do. They have more...normal reactions to the terrors. You just mostly take it in stride.

I shrugged and winced. Ow. Probably because I'm a vastly different human. Not quite that many have gone through what I've gone through. Both then and now.

And I doubt many, if any, ever will.

That just makes me more unique!

Nightmare rolled his eye again. You're about as unique as a Sans.

I pouted. There is no one like me. Besides, each Sans is different, Mr. Nightmare Sans.

Most Sanses are the same because of Alternate Timelines. Well...Most Sanses WERE the same before Error went and destroyed everything. Now there's just the original timeline and its ATs left.

I tilted my head slightly. Does that mean there were other Nightmares and Dreams?

Nightmare sighed. No. Dreamtale was a unique universe. You can't have more than a single Tree of Feelings in a multiverse.