Chapter 17: Graveyard

II Yato II

We strolled across the lonely streets, slowly reaching our destination. Hera held a bouquet of white roses, known to be her mothers favorite. We traveled silently, occasionally glancing at each other now and then. I noticed her lips quivering as she looked down at the flowers. She looks hurt. Realizing I was staring at her lips, I quickly looked away. 

I was debating on whether asking her how she remembered her mother or not. It was an insensitive question, so I shrugged it off. I shouldn't let curiosity get the best of me. It seemed to have an obvious answer anyway. She is the God of Knowledge. 

We were a mile away from the graveyard.  I remembered the day I had heard about her mother's passing. I have never shed as many tears as I did that day. I can still recall the memory in detail. It was completely devastating. I can only imagine how Hera feels, not remembering most of the memories she had with her mother. She was a kind lady.

Finally, we reached the gate of Lakisberg Graveyard. I knew where her mother's was by heart. I gestured Hera to follow me down the pathway. I could already see it from afar. Engraved in the stone was "R.I.P Valia Mori. A wonderful woman and a wonderful mother." I lead her to it and stopped on the side. 

"This is it." I gazed at the stone, hands shaking.

She covered her mouth with her hands and dropped down to her knees. "Mother?"

I looked down.

"Valia Mori..." she mumbled and gently placed the flowers next to her gravestone. "I miss you, mother." 

I let out a shaky breath, trying not to cry. I can't let her see me cry. 

She weakly smiled, "Did I go by her last name?" 

"Yeah," I murmured.

"Hera Mori... Doesn't really fit me," she let out a dry laugh.

I nodded, forcing a smile. "It fit with your name pretty well back then, though."

"How did my mother treat you?" she exclaimed.

"Um- well, she was very kind, to say the least. I saw her as my own mother."

She gazed at me, "What about your own?"

"I don't have a mother. I was abandoned."

"O-Oh, I'm s-..." she looked away shyly.

"It's okay, Hera," I smiled and reached out my arm. She grabbed it and pulled me down with her. "It's not okay, idiot." 

"W-What was that for?!" I pouted.

She smiled wearily and grabbed my hand. "I just... You've been so kind, Yato. Thank.. you."

"Of course, you're my best friend."

She glared at me, a tint of red flushing her cheeks. 

"Eh?! What did I do?"

"I don't wanna be your best friend," she mumbled.

My eyes widened, "What? Why?" I felt slightly hurt. 

She sighed. "Yato, you're still idiotic as ever."

I chuckled. "I know."

"But I love that about you!" she looked down at her lap.

I smiled and suddenly an idea popped in my head. "What if we plant the seed next to your mother? There's plenty space."

Her eyes widened, "You think she'll like.. it?"

"She will," I assured.

"Then... you do it."

I sighed and grabbed the seed from her hand. "Wait, we don't even have water."

"I'll go to the store and grab the supplies we need, wait for me," I said.

She was about to protest, but I quickly shook my head. "You don't have to come. Just spend time with your mother, Hera."

She sighed, nodding. I smiled and waved before walking the opposite way.

SAD CHAPTER! D: Hope you enjoyed it, though. I usually have writers blocks and it takes long for another chapter to go up  because I'm slow... Anyway, this story is about to end! There will be a surprise next chapter .... >:3