Chapter 20: Together

Chapter 20: Together [Last Chapter]

II Hera II

"There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page, or closing the book."

Phantoms swarmed the skies and ground. For an unknown reason, many were wandering this particular town. 

I leaped over from building to building, eventually landing on the one closest to the odd-looking phantom. "Go, Yato!"

"Come, sekki! You who would desecrate this land of the rising sun! With my advent, I, the Yato God... lay waste with the Sekki... and expel thy vast defilement!"

A light feeling washed over me as my clothes transformed and a katana was firmly gripped in both of my hands.  I glanced over at Yato to see him grinning as he vaulted over a building from a short distance, over to the one I stood on. We both surrounded the phantom front to back. I shot him a signal to distract it for me to ambush it. He grabbed his jar with yen and banged on it. 

"Over here, you slug!" 

I scoffed at the smug look on his face. If it wasn't for his dedication, I'd have commented on his terrible way of distracting.

What's with this thing anyway? It's really slimy, and the colors of its body don't even match. Purple and green. I mentally face-palmed at my senseless thoughts.

I sighed. Time to get this over with.

It turned around with the same disturbing expression. I took the chance to surprise attack the phantom, seeing that it was distrait.

I hopped on it's back and the instant my shoes touched it, I cringed at the slimy feeling beneath them. Almost slipping, I managed to slash through the phantom. A light appeared in the air, marking its defeat.

I smiled and walked over to Yato, giving him a high five. "We did it."

"Of course, I am the Yato God after all," he declared proudly.

I rolled my eyes. Not this again. "Sure, but I'm the one who did all the work."

"Ehh?! You're not giving me any credit?" 

"Fine, you stood there banging on a jar, thank you so much Yato!" I remarked sarcastically.

He pouted and crossed his arms.

I laughed and continued walking towards the direction of Hiyori's house, which was a few miles away. We passed by breath-taking Cherry Blossom trees. The weather was calm and all you could hear was the rustling of leaves whispering to the wind.

Suddenly, my hand felt warm. I looked down to see Yato's hand grabbing it. He didn't even look my way and continued walking by my side.

My cheeks began to feel warm. I looked down slightly, attempting to hide my face with my long hair.

He began to chuckle and stopped, grabbing my other arm and gazed straight into my eyes. 

"Will you stay by my side forever, Hera?" he asked, causing me to get flustered.

I tried to get my hands out of his grip. I couldn't do it.

I shut my eyes, "W-Why are you asking this all of a sudden?"

"Will you?" he asked once more.

"I... will."

I opened my eyes slightly, just to see him grinning like a goof. He grabbed my waist and I hugged back, nuzzling my head into his neck.

"Weren't you the one who told me you loved me?"

I instantly shot back and turned the opposite direction. "Shut up..."