Chapter 4 - Motives

The crowd was buzzing with life by now. Group after group shot at their targets and points were tallied just as quickly. Because there were so many competing that day, the rounds were short and sweet. They'd get harder as the contest continued, and every archer looked forward to it.

Takeda had rejoined Bayler immediately following his match. The blonde male adjusted his brown attire with every critique he gave, as if such words were too dirty for him.

"You less pressure when you pull back your string! You're gonna shoot a whole through the damn target!" Takeda said, slapping Bayler on the back.

Bayler narrowed his eyes and carefully lifted a brow. "I got a perfect bullseye, didn't I? Why does it matter how hard I shoot the arrow?"

The two males passed a few curious onlookers. The girls snickered and turned their blushing faces in the other direction. Takeda offered one of them a kind smile and a wave, and the girl immediately spun on her heel to face one of the matches.

"Look, all I'm saying is that when I come along to face you in the end, I'm not going easy on you!" Takeda led Bayler along the dirt path away from the noise of the event. "It'll just be you and me."

"Hey Bayler, wait up!"

Bayler looked over his shoulder to see the red Outrider trotting towards him and Takeda. He halted, waiting for her to catch up to them. His friend cast him a dirty look only he could see, then put on a bright, sunshiney smile for Amber.

"Is this the girl you were telling me about? You were right about how cute she is," Takeda said with a sly smile. "The name's Takeda Kay. I'm a friend of Bayler's way back in the Resistance."

Amber's face was the same color as her uniform now. She stood, stunned, for several moments before quickly blinking out of her daze. "O-Oh! It's a pleasure to meet you, Takeda! I'm Amber!"

"So the lady has a name! My, my, aren't you just a ball of fire?"

Bayler whacked the back of Takeda's head. His pale skin was slightly pink from embarrassment, and it seemed his friend would go to hell's end to make sure both of them were thoroughly uncomfortable with the situation.

Amber scratched the back of her head. "They were about to announce the winners, and I thought you'd like to hear who your opponents might be for tomorrow's match!" she said directly to Bayler, ignoring Takeda entirely.

"Thank you," he replied. "Takeda, you can go on without me. I'll accompany Amber to the venue."

In the brief moment of silence, Takeda shrugged his shoulders and continued walking away from the city of Mondstadt. As to where he went, Bayler wasn't sure, but it wasn't any of his concern regardless.

Bayler turned to Amber gently rested his hand on her shoulder. "Let's go so we don't miss the end."

The Outrider perked up immediately and took his hand into her gloved one, practically dragging him along the dirt path. Her grip wasn't horribly tight, but there was an authorities firmness that he couldn't ignore. It was the hold of a leader, or maybe even someone who didn't want to let go. As contradictory as they seemed, somehow, they described her so well.

The longer he thought, the more he realized how attached she already seemed to be to him even though they'd known each other for only a day and a half. Takeda was right to mention she was cute, but was he really interested in love? The only reason he was in Mondstadt was to move on from the war.

Amber released his hand and started to jump up and down. They were in the center of the venue now, and Lumine was beginning to approach them. Amber waved cheerful and invited both the Traveler and her flying companion over to Bayler's side.