Chapter 15 - From Afar

History repeated itself. People were gathered around the bulletin board waiting to hear who would be competing in the new bracket. Amber and Takeda were among them at the very front, beyond eager to get started.

After yesterday, Amber hadn't so much as looked in Bayler's direction... but as for him? All eyes were on her. He just couldn't look away, and it pained him that tonight was the night he was supposed to meet her at the Cat's Tail to discuss certain matters.

He'd barely been able to sleep because he was tossing and turning all night thinking about it. So casually she'd said all of those things about him without taking a minute to realize what was coming out of her mouth. They'd only known each other for about a week, and in the next, if things didn't go his way, he'd be across the seas in Inazuma.

It was unfortunate how those things worked out, but it was something he had already come to terms with. Bayler wasn't meant to be with her. Wouldn't she rather be with a stable guy who lived close by? What about that bartender Diluc? Or maybe the pirate-looking guy off to the side with a little girl dressed in red? He seemed like the fatherly type.

As for Bayler himself, he was a mess. Truly, the only reason his episodes kicked in was because of her, but why couldn't he be mad? Just by taking one look at Amber, he felt the fainted hint of the desire to be with her. Maybe she could handle him, but he was doubtful. That's why he lived in a home with a bunch of other veterans.

The people huddled nearby took off in the direction of the Knights of Favonius. "They moved the location this time!" one of the girls screamed as she ran.

The competitors slowly left the board and waded through the crowds of people to go up the stairs. Bayler knew they were shooting at the Knights of Favonius that day. They'd be by the statue of Barbatos, their Archon. The open hands cupped to the sky conveyed a message. "The Gateway to Celestia."

Bayler made his move by cutting through a group of people. He would've gone around the shops, but for once, he wanted to admire the decor so carefully hung and draped across the tall buildings.

Windblume was such a fascinating time for him. Everyone wanted to spend time with their love, and those who didn't have one desperately sought out a partner. It didn't look like anybody was truly alone in the streets of Mondstadt. Fingers with intertwined, lips melted together, and laughter filled the air. The feeling made him feel warm inside.

Climbing the several flights of stairs was no problem for Bayler, but with the slow moving crowd, he grew rather annoyed. People hailing from Liyue, Sumeru, and Fontaine were present. Very few Inazuman mingled with the others, whether because the journey was too long or they weren't aware of the event.

Bayler finally made it to the top where he found the competition had already begun. Amber was facing off against another competitor, a girl who looked to be from Liyue. She wore her green Adventurer's Guild outfit, but her glasses looked to be made in her home nation.

Amber was pulling back a bow. Bayler jumped through the crowd to get a closer look, just in time to see her hit the target. She scored 7 points in that shot, remarkable compared to the other lady who got a 5. It looked like the Outrider would have a good chance against a complete stranger.

A flag raised in the air by another group's target. "Fischl versus Hans, complete! Fischl moves on!"

A girl dressed head to toe in purple flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder. She seemed to be making some grand speech, but all Bayler could hear was the sound of the wind. Maybe that was a good thing, because Fischl seemed to be in her own chaotic world.

Bayler focused back on Amber. She brought her bowstring by her cheek. The serious look on her face sent a wild chill through his body. Even while hunting, she never looked that way. The position at the head of a new department must've been tantalizing for the Outrider. It certainly was for him.