Chapter 23 - Crazy Bitch

Amber POV

The two walked back to Mondstadt hand-in-hand. He'd been the one to suggest the idea. While it confused her that he wanted to maintain physical contact yet not make anything official, she was happy to be beside him. First a rapid make-out session, then a peaceful stroll home. Things couldn't get better.

The sun was beginning to dip just below the horizon. From where they were positioned, the Knights of Favonius headquarters was eclipsed with a beautiful orange backdrop from behind. The wind was gentle and cool, the faintest hint of the water's surface able to be tasted.

Bayler smiled down at her. He hadn't lifted his mask back over his face yet. He was handsome when he smiled... It could light up a room in an instant. His green eyes would peek through his feathery black bangs, and it would send a shiver down her spine.

Then here she was, beaming on end. There was pep in her step, and she was on the verge of skipping clear back to her residence to squeal about her day. Oh, the letter she would send to Collei later! Eula would likely want to hear too, though she wouldn't show it on her face.

Tomorrow was a big day for her, and that's likely why Bayler had been the one to break away. He said he'd walk her back to Mondstadt and meet up with her before the competition started.

She looked up at Bayler. "Do you think tomorrow will go okay?" she asked him. "It will be what decides whether or not I'm making it to the finals."

Bayler reached his opposite hand over to pat her on the head. "I don't see why not. You don't have much competition to go up against."

Amber sighed. "I didn't really beat Takeda today. It was more of an unfortunate series of events that lead to his disqualification."

She was still shaken by everything he had said. That wasn't the Takeda she knew. He was kind, understanding, and generous. The side she'd witnessed frightened her, but perhaps it was all because of nerves or the competitive juices running through his veins. The next time she saw him, she hoped to forgive him.

"Don't worry about that," Bayler cut in. "Get some good rest tonight. That's what will decide your fate."

"The last time I competed ended horribly! What if that sticks with me?" Panic entered her gaze, and she loosened her grip on his hand.

He squeezed her hand in response. "Things are fine now between us, okay? All you need to focus on is getting your arrow onto the target, better yet, in the bullseye. I know you're capable of it."

Amber leaned her head against his arm. He flinched at first, then relaxed. It was a striking reminder that he still wasn't committed to... this, yet. She still wanted to know what was holding him back.

"Thanks for that," she murmured sleepily. "I'm glad to have someone in my corner."

Bayler lightly kissed the top of her head. "Honored to be here."

The kiss warmed her from the inside out. A faint blush crept to her cheeks, exposed to the cool breeze. Her brown hair couldn't conceal it, but if he pointed out, she could blame the lighting on her bright red uniform.

He was being extremely affectionate, and she loved it. His touch left the feeling of warmth behind, even after hours of being apart. Why did she feel such a way for someone who was practically a complete stranger?

It always came down to that thought. Was she just caught up in the moment? Maybe that's why he was waiting to give her an answer. He was thinking the exact same things, wasn't he?

More than anything, she wanted to believe that her love was true. The way her heart beat, the catching of her breath whenever she saw him... she'd never loved someone quite like the Inazuman Bayler Velice.

"I'm surprised Fischl made it this far into the competition," Bayler said randomly.

"How do you know she won?"

Bayler smiled down at her. "Just a hunch. I don't think Ellin stood much of a chance. You can't predict the outcome of a crazy person because they don't even know what they're doing themselves."

Amber laughed. "Did you just imply Fischl is crazy?"

"Indeed I did, and I'd do it again. She's what I'd call a crazy bitch."

She slapped him across the arm, giggling as she did. "That's so rude! Fischl's a good person, I can promise you that. Sure she's a bit... unique, and I guess I don't really know her..."

Bayler raised a brow, the smuggest of smiles on his lips. "So it sounds like I'm right. I don't think I've ever heard her speak a normal word. Not even the language barrier between Inazuma and Mondstadt can be blamed."

Inazuma and Mondstadt did seem to have different origins, so it wasn't unusual for everyone to speak a bit differently from each other. Now, Fischl was a whole 'nother level. Even Amber had to admit that she was left confused when talking with her.

"She's pretty cocky too, hence the bitch part of it," Bayler continued in his lighthearted tone. "I don't think she'll give you aaaaany trouble whatsoever. Unless that bird of hers tries something."

"Oz? No, he's got more common sense than Fischl does, despite being an elemental raven or... whatever he is. You know, I've never asked!" Amber jumped up, sending both of their arms swaying.

Bayler slowed his pace as they neared the bridge. She took notice of it, but kept silent. On the inside, she was squealing with happiness. But then she felt rather sad. It was exactly where she'd cried on their way back from training.

Shaking off her doubt, she started skipping. "No matter what, I'll beat the crazy bitch fair and square! That's my top priority!"

He was matching her pace, only walking rather than than skipping. It'd be funny if the famous Bayler Velice was caught skipping with her. She'd never hear the end of it either!

"Whatever float your boat," he murmured. His eyes strayed from her to look at the gates now looming in front of them. Because of her skipping, they'd arrived a lot sooner than expected.

Amber gave him a bittersweet smile. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"I'll see you tomorrow," he replied without hesitation.

Their hands slid apart, and Bayler walked off in the direction of the inns. His mask was adjusted back to cover his face, and his hands went straight to his pockets. It was strange how different he could be around other people.

Amber looked down at her hand. It still felt blissfully warm, as if he were still holding it. The stars were starting to come out of hiding. If only the light was eternal... then she'd never have to say goodbye to whom she loved.

 then she'd never have to say goodbye to whom she loved