Chapter 14 - Wrong Move

The sun was already beginning to set. They really had spent the entire day running through Wolvendom, and Bayler hadn't dreaded it in the least. He was so sure she would've done something to turn him off, but if anything, she'd only made his feelings worse.

Amber had been quick to show off her hunting skills when they ran into a group of boars by Bright down Canyon. She'd shot down one while saying "I'm a pro at hunting, you know!!"

Part of her dreaded carrying the meat in a bag strapped to her back. While the boar had been small, that didn't mean there was a shortage of product from it. He learned something new everyday when it came to Amber. She opened his eyes to many, many things.

Amber raced ahead. They were nearing the edge of a cliff. The very tops of the Cathedral in Mondstadt city could be seen within the foliage of nature. Bayler followed after her at a brisk walk, not wanting to fall behind, but not quite wanting to race her either. He was ready to retire for the day in his bed.

"Bayler!" the Outrider called back to him, her voice loaded with excitement. "Why don't I teach you to glide? I always bring my back-up wind glider with me in case of emergencies! It'd be a lot faster than walking."

The offer was tempting. His feet were already hurting from his lack of proper footwear and the warm summer sun was making his head fuzzy, but learning how to glide meant one thing. He'd have to actually JUMP INTO THE AIR-

"Yeah, ummm, I might have to pass on that one," Bayler said quickly. "You're free to go ahead though. You have the heavy bag, not me."

Amber put her hands on her hips and pouted. "Oh come on! You're no fun! I'm the Mondstadt Gliding Champion, yup! That's me! Gliding Champion! I'm the best teacher you'll ever get."

Bayler raised a suspicious brow. "Don't I need a license for that?"

"You gotta learn first, dummy!" Amber jeered back. She skipped over to him and handed him what he assumed was a wind glider. The materials were a bright, shimmering blue. The patterns themselves represented the shape of feathered-tips.

He couldn't resist the adorable pout of hers. With her lips slightly drooped and protruded, she was the epitome of innocence. How could he say no to a face like that? He'd be considered a monster.

"...alright," he resigned. "Just until Mondstadt."

Amber jumped up quickly. "You would regret this! Come on over to the ledge and I'll instruct you on some basic rules and tips!"

The two walked to the cliff's edge and peered down at the landscape below them. Trees, rocks, old ruins, and dirt paths winded down to Mondstadt's main city. It wasn't the worst drop ever if something went wrong, but he still didn't like the idea in the slightest. He wasn't built for the air like she was.

After explaining through everything twice, Amber was the first to take off. She took a giant leap into the air and deployed her wind glider into the air. Instantly, she began her descent. With the added weight on her back, it was no surprise that that was the case.

It was his turn.

Bayler took a step back and ran forward to take flight. His guts lurched in his belly, but once he opened up his glider, the feeling went away. He felt extremely... free. The wind cut around him with ease, the gentle sound flowing through his ears.

Amber was laughing ahead of him. She kept her arms spread apart like the wings of her glider, the perfect form she was describing. Her lips were pulled back in a cheesy smile the entire time.

Bayler swiveled around his head to look at his surroundings, unaware that he was catching up on her. A gust of wind nearly knocked him into her, but she didn't snap at him. She only laughed.

"When I'm teaching you do glide, I feel like I can go even faster than usual..."

"Is that so? I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread here." he admitted, a bit frazzled by how she made it look so easy."

Amber nodded. "Keep practicing and you'll be there in no time! Oh, just like now!"

They were already nearing the stone bridge. Amber looked down and abandoned her glider. She plunged to the ground in a spark of wild arrows, then jumped up and looked his way. He mimicked the same move and landed beside her.

"That was so much fun! I feel like I could do that forever with you!"

Bayler went silent. He shifted his gaze to look out at the setting sun rather than meet her eyes. He just couldn't bring himself to say anything more. They couldn't get any closer. It was already bad enough she was confessing her feelings and wanting to spent forever with him.

"Um, yeah, uh-" He fumbled with his words, trying to kindly find a way to let her down, but he just couldn't find the right way to say it.

I'm not mentally okay. You would only fall down with me.

Amber's smile turned sadder and sadder by the minute. She seemed to be biting back her tongue, as if she really wanted to say something, but no words were coming out. For once, she was silent.

"Listen, Amber, it's just that-"

"I'm really sorry for saying that!" she blurted out. "I know we've barely known each other and it's my fault that I keep pushing myself on you and trying to get to know who you are as a person. It's my fault, you don't have to say anything!"

Bayler offered out his hand to her. "I haven't even said anything yet, and I need to. Amber, it's not that I don't like you..."

Tears brimmed in her eyes. "I'm sure you say that to everyone, but I won't let you say it to me! You gotta meet me at the Cat's Tail tomorrow night, alright? I'll convince you that I'm good."

He frowned. If only she actually listened to what he had to say. The problem wasn't her. He wanted to love her more than anything, he just couldn't bring himself to darken her blinding aura.

His expression turned thoughtful, and he eventually met her amber eyes. "Alright. If you won't hear me out now, then I'll wait until tomorrow night after the competition."

"That's all I ask..." she murmured under her breath. Slowly, she leaned closer to him, then stopped herself. "I'll see you in the morning."

Bayler smiled. "I'll see ya."

The orange sunset escorted the red Outrider back to the middle of Mondstadt. He waited until it was past dark to return on his own. Tomorrow would be a painful conversation, he knew. Why, oh why did it have to be so difficult?

 Why, oh why did it have to be so difficult?