Chapter 27 - Chances

Amber POV

Amber was walking through Mondstadt the next morning with a bright smile on her face. The breeze carried the faint scent of rain, yet no clouds were in sight. She hoped it'd stay cheerful while the competition was still going on.

She'd spent most of the previous night mulling over what to do. Bayler needed the win to continue with his life, but she needed it to keep the Outriders going. There was too much at stake, and she didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings. It was unfortunate that it had to come down to a face off.

Now skipping through the city, she made for the gates. Her entire day was cleared of tasks from Jean. It hadn't taken much convincing at all, considering the circumstances and the presence of the Honorary Knight in Mondstadt's lands. As soon as her and Paimon left, the Knights would be swamped again.

"Amber!"

She was just coming up to the bridge when she heard her name being called. Amber whirled her head around looking for the person, rather puzzled by who it could be. She faintly recognized the voice, however, she couldn't think of their name.

"Amber!"

Coming from the sides of Mondstadt's walls, Takeda ran through a thicket of dandelions to catch up to her. The puffy white seeds flourished into the air as he ran past, carrying off the next generation to the grassy plains.

"Takeda?" Amber echoed absently. "What are you doing here? Oh gosh, I'm so sorry about what happened!"

He waved dismissively. "Don't worry about it. I didn't deserve to stay in the competition after what I did. After what I... said."

Amber frowned, too afraid to say anything that might spark a dispute. What he said had been beyond hurtful... but had he meant any of it while he'd been drunk? People often said the truth came out when alcohol was involved, but surely Takeda wouldn't think any of the things he'd said?

She swallowed back a lump in her throat, and laughed gently. The easier she made it on him, the less painful it would be for them both. "Forget about it all, okay? You're forgiven."

Takeda frowned, his eyebrows knitting together as he did. "But I can't, that's the thing. Amber, there's something I really need to tell you, and I want you to listen to it all, got it? It'll clear up all of the confusion."

Amber blinked in surprise. "Takeda, you don't need to explain yourself-"

"Amber, I like you!" he blurted out. His eyes were squeezed tightly shut. "And not just as a childish crush. I genuinely love you, and it hurts to see you act so carefree around Bayler. He always shines brighter than the rest of us. Don't think he's the only one who's struggled in this world."

Takeda dropped nearly to his knees. The pain on his face was unbearable for her to look at. He looked like he was ready to reach out and grabbed for her, but every shred of his well-being was fighting the urge.

"Everything I have said is the truth, Amber. I know it may be too late for me, but please, don't feel pressured to do anything. I won't deny my feelings any longer for you... I simply can't. They make me act stupid, and I can't quite explain why."

Slowly taking a step back, Amber fought the tears in her eyes. His confession was pure, but she couldn't ignore the jealousy lacing his words. Takeda was scared Bayler would take her away from him, and it was saddening.

"Takeda... I don't know what to say..."

Takeda jumped to his feet. "You don't have to say anything now! Please... just wait until after the competition!"

After the competition was when Bayler was supposed to answer her own declaration.

She felt like her heart was shattering into a thousand pieces. The two men from Inazuma were fighting for her. It was a Cold War in Mondstadt during the festival of love. Amber wasn't sure how much longer she could handle it.

"Okay..." she murmured, blinking back her tears. "I'll tell you then. But please, don't hate me if my answer isn't what you want to hear."

He shook his head frantically. "Of course not! And uh... I'll leave you alone to your thoughts now. I'm so sorry this all came out now, that was never my attention."

Takeda bowed to her and ran off before she could say anything more. She outstretched her hand, silently beckoning him back to her side, but he was already gone.

Just her luck. She'd never thought much about how she felt for Takeda until he said anything. Now that she gave it more thought, she wasn't sure how she could have been so blind to all of the signs. Takeda had been trying to tell her for ages, and she'd dumbly led him on.

But what if Bayler said no anyway? There were so many possibilities, and she didn't want to hurt either of the men now present in her life. Takeda and Bayler. Bayler and Takeda. Who was meant to be hers?

Amber sighed and continued on her journey into the open. There was no longer any pep in her step. The sky seemed oddly gray. The wind had gone stale. Nothing could cheer her up at the moment.

Except one thing.

"Amber!"

This time, she recognized the voice. She spun around to see the maid of the Knights running toward her. The armor she wore reflected the dull light into her eyes, occasionally cutting off the glare by her apron.

"I apologize for interrupting your activities." Noelle curtseyed daintily. "I was sorting the mail at headquarters when I stumbled upon a letter for you from Collei."

Amber's eyes lit up. She quickly took the letter from Noelle and tucked it into her pocket. "Thank you so much for tracking me this far!"

Noelle blushed. She brought her hands up to cover her mouth and smiled behind her fingers. "Any time!"

The maid rushed back into the city, leaving Amber alone. Now that she was finally alone, she ran off, far away from the city where nobody else could stop her

 Now that she was finally alone, she ran off, far away from the city where nobody else could stop her