Chapter 16 - Old Times

Bayler was really starting to dislike the concept of taverns. They were so loud and noisy and busy. How could someone thrive in that type of environment? He rather take his drink bottled up and go elsewhere with it, preferably the comforts of his own home. He didn't really have one in Mondstadt, though.

If he thought the previous time he was in the Angel's Share was busy, he was wrong. There wasn't a chair left vacant in the warm space, and it was louder than before. Smellier, even. The sloshing of alcohol all over the thick beards of drunkards and the merry cheering of younger gentlemen was all to be experienced.

Just like before, the red-haired bartender, Diluc, was at the front. He appeared even grumpier than last time with his eyebrows bunched up. Still, he silently poured beverages and swiped coins off of the front counter while his servers took care of the two floors.

Takeda seemed right at home navigating through the crowds. "We'll go to the top floor!" he declared with a cheeky smile. "That's where all the fun is."

"If you are referring to "fun" as spectating a bunch of drunk guys throwing up their guts, then it's perfect," Bayler muttered. He was still being dragged, only slightly less than before. After being dragged around all of the time, he was getting really tired of it.

Just as they rounded the corner after climbing the stairs, a table started to open up. A trio of women were dragging themselves from the stiff chairs, apologizing as they grabbed onto the shoulders of nearby men. Takeda watched them with curious eyes.

When they finally stumbled out of the way, Takeda pulled out a seat for Bayler, gesturing his hand to sit. "Ladies first," he said in a false accent.

Bayler scoffed and took his seat. "If it also means you are paying the bill, then sure. I'll play along, dearest."

Takeda fell back into his own seat and laughed. He raised his hand when a lady in uniform passed by them, and she quickly backed up with her notebook in hand.

"What can I get you, gentlemen?" She brushed her dark hair out of her face and licked her lips. Some of her cleavage was threatening to burst free from the buttoned shirt holding them back. Bayler averted his gaze, meanwhile Takeda was all over them.

"The finest beer you have," Takeda said with a smirk. "Two different kinds would be best. One for myself, another for my friend. Keep a constant flow, if you would."

The lady scribbled down some notes with a smile. "How strong? Wouldn't want you both getting... tipsy with an assembly line of high products."

Bayler glanced at Takeda. "The average. I doubt Takeda here can get through many."

"Ouch, you underestimate me! You're just scared because you're a lightweight!"

A smirk formed on the lips of the waitress. "How about I surprise you? That suffice?"

"Perfect," Bayler replied before Takeda could bargain more. He watched the lady disappear before whacking Takeda upside the head.

"What was that for?!" his friend whined like a child. "Not my fault you don't know how to order."

Dead-panned, Bayler said dully, "You are the biggest dunbass I have ever met. Why do I waste my time on you?"

The light emerging from the window sill was dimming slowly. While it was still considered day-drinking, Bayler felt less horrible about indulging himself in alcohol rather than sulking around his temporary inn. He looked back at Takeda, which appeared to have spluttered a thousand words while Bayler was spacing off.

"Yeah, yeah. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said."

Takeda gasped. "Rude!! Do you not remember how much fun we had during the war? It was you and me against the WORLD!" Takeda was mere seconds away from laughing his head off. "There ain't no throwing that away!"

Bayler sighed, lowering his mask a bit to reveal a small smile. "Old times, huh? For us being so young yet, you make it sound like we're some sort of grandpas settling down by the fire while the grandkids run around."

Their waitress returned with their drinks in hand. She set down the mugs on the tabletop and patted both of their heads before running off to deliver a few bottle of wines to another table.

Takeda brought the foaming drink to his lips, taking a long sip from the mug. He slammed it down and chuckled. "Remember the first time you met General Gorou? For someone without a tail, you sure had it tucked between your legs!"

Bayler slipped slowly on his beer. "He looked EXTREMELY intimidating that first day! How was I supposed to know the general is just a ball of fluff?"

"Don't say that too loud, I'm sure his ears can pick up on us from here," Takeda said with a snort. "What about that time you were shot?"

"SHOT BY YOU, DUMBASS-" Bayler rose to his feet and jabbed a finger at his friend. Surprisingly, nobody looked in their direction. He lowered himself back into his seat and chugged the rest of his drink. "Your color-blind ass couldn't figure out whose side you were on!"

Takeda raised his arms defensively. "Woah, woah, woah! It was only in the thigh."

"Still hurt like a bitch," Bayler grumbled.

He still remembered being carried off of the battlefield, nearly biting off his own tongue to try not to make a sound. Takeda's face had been whiter than the moon and he certainly hadn't been laughing like he was now. It didn't take long for Bayler to get back on his feet, but he still had a pretty gnarly scar from the arrow.

The lady came back and popped fresh mugs in front of them. And again. And again... and, again. Long into the night they drank while telling stories about their time in the war, and little did Bayler know...

He forgot about Amber in the Cat's Tail.