Chapter 12 - Beat

The next morning was full of excitement. Everyone in Mondstadt was ecstatic to see the showdown between their beloved Honorary Knight and the Inazuman legend Bayler Velice. Bets were being placed at the front of the Knights of Favonius. So far, they weren't allowed to know who the underdog was.

Bayler walked with Amber onto the wooden platforms stretching across Cider Lake and to a tiny island where the final round of his bracket would take place. They would be standing still on wooden planks, but their targets would be bobbing with the waves artificially aroused by Vision holders.

The walk across the bridge was peaceful. The breeze, for now, was gentle and carried the sweet scent of the water. Fish sloshed in the water and even a few frogs kicked their way through the waves. Above them, the sun was bright and warm. The rays, yellow in color, matched Amber's cheerful nature.

She skipped along with a bright smile on her face. After his episode the previous night, she'd been smiling nonstop to make him feel better. She'd even offered to sleep over with him to make sure he stayed in his right mind, which, most unfortunately, he declined for her sake.

It had been a rough night for Bayler. His eyes were darkened with bags and his limbs felt heavy, but still, he pushed forward. Having Amber at his side was infectious because of her personality. For the fourth time since they'd met back up, she commented on how lovely the weather was.

"I just wish I had another outfit to match this weather!" Amber exclaimed once more. "Wouldn't you like to dive straight into the water and have a swim?"

Bayler chuckled lightly. "If I were to do that back home, I'd be electrocuted. Purple water is no joke."

Amber whacked his arm playfully. "Stop fooling around, I'm serious! Maybe when the competition is over, you'd like to stay a little longer?"

For a moment he wanted to flat-out decline her proposal, but the innocent sparkle in her eyes told him not to dare. He didn't want to hurt the girl. That was the whole point of him preventing himself from loving her.

A small smile cracked behind his mask. "We'll see about it," he replied. "But right now, I have to focus on beating Lumine. Say... who are you siding with?"

Amber looked rather conflicted by his question. She rubbed the back of her head, eyes crinkled shut. "I'm cheering for you both, alright? You are all important to me!!"

That made his smile grow immensely. With her support, he no longer felt his weariness tying him down. Lumine, he felt, wouldn't be much of a worthy opponent. But she had taken down the great Dvalin of Mondstadt and the Raiden Shogun when no one else could. She had many, many great feats, but of course, she was new to the weapon.

The muscles underneath his trench coat rippled with anticipation. They were worn with age, yes, but they carried years upon years of drills and techniques nobody else possessed. The Traveler may be better equipped for swordsmanship, the bow and arrow was his forte.

Amber and Bayler stepped off of the bridge onto the solid ground of the island. Small stands and vendors were lined up around the circumference, besides where the island split back into a separate bridge. That was where he and Lumine would be lined up. Somewhere on the water were their targets.

Lumine was waiting for Amber off to the side. Paimon, who was at her side per usual, floated to them first. "Amber! Bayler! It's so good to see you two again! The Traveler and I are so excited to compete today!"

Bayler blinked his gratitude. "It's an honor to face you, considering your reputation across the nations. This will be the match of a lifetime."

He offered his hand out to the pixie. Her small hand shook his, then was replaced by Lumine's. "Paimon can't believe we made it this far! Think of all the Sweet Madam's we'll be able to buy..."