Chapter 5 - Intoxicated

One might expect to find drunkards mulling around a tavern in the middle of the night, and sure enough there were plenty already outside. They draped their bodies over the wooden tables and called to the ladies wiping up their messes.

Just from the outside you could hear the songs they were singing merrily. A loud voice would call for another round, and a chorus would follow. More and more alcohol. The interior probably stunk of it.

Amber led Bayler inside with a cheerful smile on her face. She didn't appear fazed by the wild antics happening in every separate corner of the tavern. At the front counter was a red-haired man who looked rather disgusted by what was happening in his tavern.

Two spots opened on the bar stools. Amber swiped her hand over a seat and took it upon herself to plop down without a second thought. Bayler joined her, resting his elbows on the countertop and raising his hand to summon the bartender.

The man scoffed. He walked over with a mug in hand, a towel twisting around the interior. "Amber, greetings." His vibrant red eyes blinked steadily. They snapped in Bayler's direction. "Who's this?"

Amber giggled. "Master Diluc! This is a friend of mine, Bayler Velice. He's from Inazuma!! Think you can start us off with some dandelion wine?"

Diluc threw his towel onto the counter with a sigh and turned around to do his work. Bayler watched closely, fascinated by what Mondstadt had to offer. Every nation served their alcohol differently, he noticed, and this place seemed to keep things simple.

Two delicate glasses were set in front of them, filled to the brim with the aromic beverage. The green wine bottle was placed between them, and Diluc turned away to tend to others.

Bayler slipped his mask down his face, draping it around his neck so it was out of the way. He wrapped his fingers around the base of his glass, carefully pushing it between his fingers, and brought it up to his nose to sniff.

Amber was already sipping on her wine and watching him with innocent eyes. In the dull, yellow light of the tavern, her eyes illuminated a bright amber color. The corners of her mouth were tilted upward as she smiled into her glass.

"Oh, a man can't thoroughly admire his drink?" Bayler joked, smiling. He brought the glass to his lips and drank the wine, licking his lips as he pulled away. "I can see why it's a specialty here."

"It's got a lot of history behind it too. Perhaps you can find Venti the bard sometime and ask him to tell you all of his tales and songs!" Amber chirped. She sipped once more on her wine, wiggling her legs as she did.

On the other half of the first floor, a man was singing a song. Bayler looked past Amber to inspect him. He was in the middle of a long monologue, it seemed, and every person in the tavern was listening carefully.

"That's Six-Fingered José!" Amber explained carefully, pointing at his hands with her free one.

In his green attire, the man was the perfect essence of a bard. The lyre in his hands sprung to life when he plucked the strings, and his voice carried throughout the tavern. Many listened, almost equal to the amount that merrily joined in song. He didn't recognize the song, but it was a gentle tune about Windblume.

Bayler faced forward once more and emptied his glass. "It's sure loud in here," he muttered. He scootched his stool closer so he could whisper into her ear instead. "Are you sure we should be drinking when there is a match in the morning?"

Amber twitched beside him. "I see no harm in it! Isn't this fun?"

She brought her hand up and patted his head lightly, taking a moment to scratch through his black hair. "We won't stay for horribly long though. I just want to make it up to you!!"