Chapter 10 - Saved

After Gerald's pitiful attempt at defeating Bayler, the crowds slowly rippled away from his field and over to the Traveler's. Supposedly she kept getting the same score as Julie, and the two were shooting off random shots to see who could reclaim the second position in the semi-finals.

In the meantime though, Bayler walked around the ruins by himself. He'd lost Amber in the waves of people immediately after his turn, and since then, he hadn't been able to find her. It deeply hurt him that that was the case. He knew she wanted to talk about things too.

He walked onto what was once a stone wall and gazed out into the open. Windblume decorations were everywhere the eye could see, however, here was a significant lack of balloons. It was likely it was too windy to deploy them, and the kids wouldn't want to lose their precious flying objects.

There were still lanterns and flowers draped over temporary torches. They lighted a path between vendors selling beverages and small games for the average civilian to play. He thought they seemed like something the Traveler would be into if not for the competition. The rewards seemed pretty tempting, even for him.

The longer he looked, the more disappointed he became. There was still no sign of the red Outrider running about. She had to be somewhere, it wasn't like her to leave him behind like that.

Unless it was because he snapped at her... Panic flourished into life and his vision blurred momentarily. The realization was chilling, and he became even more desperate to find her. Now he had to apologize for TWO things.

He leaped from the tippy top of the stone wall and dropped down. While his heart told him to run full-speed ahead, he forced himself to proceed casually until he spotted her. Only then would be break out in a run to cast her away from the bustling people.

With his hands in the deep pockets of his coat, he walked along with his eyes peeled for the girl. Every time he heard a feminine laugh, his eyes would follow the sound, only to slowly backtrack and look ahead of him again. His desperation grew by the minute.

Why it mattered so much, he wasn't sure. But the second he caught sight of her outfit, he abandoned his plan to stay neutral. He sprinted ahead, ready to call out her name when he noticed someone else sitting next to her in the grass.

Takeda had his arm wrapped around her and the two were laughing merrily. Even Amber had a genuine smile on her face. It was unclear what they were talking about, but whatever it was, the two were enjoying themselves.

Bayler dug his heels into the ground and watched from afar. It stung seeing the two together. Was that why Takeda had brought her up? Did he have every intention to get together with her? Bayler and Amber hadn't even had the time to comprehend their own messes, more or less another guy's.

Anger flooded through him. It tightened his fists and made his eyes burn with jealousy. Amber wasn't someone anybody could wrap their arm around. No, that was for him to decide to do. It only raised more questions in his own mind. Did he love her, or was he just afraid of being the third wheel?

Bayler took a deep breath and walked forward. They didn't notice him coming, and so it made it easier to ensure his appearance was a surprise. He could hear bits and pieces of their conversation the closer he got.

Finally, he stopped beside Amber and plastered on a fake smile. "Oh, there you are!" he said in a sing-songy tone. "I was wondering if you'd like to come over to my place and help out? My stove isn't working and I need some help cooking without one."

Takeda chuckled. He stood up and clapped Bayler on the back. "But you're really good at making campfires! Why do ya need the Outrider to save you? I'm a little hurt you did even ask me!"