Chapter 32 - Final Showdown

Bayler and Amber walked across the bridge stretching across the lake. It was still in place from the first bracket when Bayler had competed, and the decorations and booths were as busy as ever. The entire island was bustling with life.

The Knight that led them hadn't turned around to face them yet. That was probably for the best, as the silence was loud between the two competitors.

Bayler didn't know what to do with himself. His finger was still oozing the blood that his heart pounded out. His head felt impossibly fuzzy, and it struggled to process even the simplest thing.

But Amber seemed to be going through worse. When he glanced down at her small figure, she was muttering something to herself while her fists clenched at her sides. They were both extremely nervous, and rightfully so.

The second their feet touched foot on the island, they were swarmed with adoring fans. Left and right, people tried to grab at them. Bayler deflected many of them easily, but Amber wasn't the same. He had to sandwich her between him and the Knight plowing through the crowd in order to keep her away from grabbing fingers.

"Welcome one and all to the finale of Mondstadt's first Windblume Archery Contest! Bayler and Amber are making their way to their boats as we speak! Don't forget to place your bets while you still can!"

They would be competing on the water. Bayler inferred that much from the mention of boats. But what would be Amber's inclusive piece in the competition? He was growing more nervous just knowing that Amber had little experience with the water.

The Knight suddenly came to a stop past a line of ribbon blocking the crowd from the boats. She stepped aside and gestured for them to hop inside their own boat, which appeared to be nothing more than a wooden canoe. Amber quickly jumped in and looked back at him.

"Come on! We got this!" she said cheerfully. Those were the first words she'd spoken to him since he rejoined her. "You aren't about to chicken out now, are you?"

"Not a chance," he replied firmly. He approached the swaying boat and climbed inside with his bow at the ready.

Somehow, the boats automatically sailed into the lake. The blue waters of Cider Lake lapped at the wooden sides and occasionally splashed the riders. Bayler looked ahead at the target growing nearer to them, and the small platform where one other was waiting. What surprised Bayler the most was the fact that the target was floating several meters into the air.

The boats jerked to the side and sailed straight to the platform. As they docked, Bayler hopped out and assisted Amber with a smile on his face. "Don't be nervous," he whispered to her as he did.

Amber looked down at the hand he used to help her, and frowned. "But you're hurt... What did you do?"

"It's not important." He pat her back and turned them both toward the Acting Grandmaster Jean who was awaiting them.

"Welcome to the final round, you two," Jean greeted them. "We brought you two into the middle of the lake specifically to keep the crowds away, but I see even some of them are desperate enough to view the end that they've jumped into the water."

Bayler and Amber turned their heads in sync to look across the waves. Several pairs of arms were emerging from the water to propel their bodies forward.

"They are crazy..." he muttered.

Jean snapped her fingers to bring their attention back to her. "The final round is as simple as this: each of you will shoot one arrow into the single target in the sky. Do not think it's as simple as this though. On my command, the waves will churn and the rain will come down heavily. Whoever is closest to the bullseye will win."

Amber gulped beside him. She looked up at Bayler with a fearful expression, mouth agape and eyes wide. "C-Can we have a moment?" She asked Jean.

Jean turned her back on them, as if granting them their wish.

Amber grabbed ahold of Bayler's shoulders. "No matter what happens, please know that I will always love you, and I hope you will tell me the same after this."

Bayler kissed her temple gently. "I'm ready when you are, Amber."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jean snapped her fingers, and the forces of nature struck against them. The rain pelted down heavily, nearly blinding Bayler if he didn't narrow his eyes enough to shield them.

The platform they were standing on swayed with the wind and choppy waves. Amber was barely able to stabilize herself enough to notch her arrow. Because of that, Bayler opted to go first.

Bayler grounded himself on the platform by spreading his legs just enough that he could maintain balance. The hardest part would be aiming upward while the ground beneath him swayed.

He pulled back the bowstring, painfully away of the blood welling from his wound as he did, and aimed up as he did.

The heartbeat could be heard distinctly, even though the rain. He could barely see the target in view, but the sound was as clear as day. Ba-bum. Ba-bum. Ba-bum.

Or was that his own heartbeat? It was practically in his throat. He couldn't think about it for long though. The rain made his bow slick, and his finger couldn't hold the string for much longer.

The arrow fired itself straight into the bullseye.

Bayler slowly lowered his bow, guilt flooding through him. What had he done?! He looked desperately at Amber, expecting to see her nearly in tears, but she was smiling.

Amber boldly approaching the X he was standing on and gently nudged him out of the way. "I got this! Just you watch!"

And so he did, nearly to the point of biting his nails. He watched as she pulled back the string and aimed up. From where he stood, he could see her legs were shaking and her aim was all over the place.

"Please..." he whispered. "Please let her win..."

He shut his eyes at the sound of the arrow releasing. There was a silent few moments... and when he opened his eyes again, the target was lowered just in front of Jean.

She snapped her fingers, and the rain stopped after a few seconds of last-minute dribbles.

Amber retreated back to Bayler, and he wrapped an arm around her. Jean was still diligently inspecting the target when she suddenly stepped back to reveal their target.

"You Robin Hooded. Congratulations to both of you, Bayler and Amber. You both win."