Chapter 11 - Light and Dark

"Let's go up to the roof." Bayler stood in the front doorway with his hand extended in her direction. "The stars are beautiful tonight, and the breeze is warm.

Amber looked out at him with surprise evident in her eyes. Her smile betrayed her, for it was shining just for him. She leaped forward and took his hand to be led outside to the miniature deck. Together they both looked up at the overhanging roof and shrugged.

Bayler got down on one knee and cupped his hands together, then looked up at her expectantly. She carefully stepped into his hand and he lifted her up onto the rooftop with ease.

"How are you going to get up?" she asked as she peered down at him. Visibly, she appeared more concerned than anything.

He stepped onto the railing and jumped up, pulling himself onto the tiles of the roof beside Amber. Smiling, he stated, "I've slept up here more than my own bed. I live among the stars, practically."

Amber smiled and helped him up. "I've never stargazed for fun. Running is more my type of activity, but I'd love to sit up here with you, just for tonight!"

Bayler climbed to the peak of the roof where a solid wooden board connected the corners of the roof. He mounted his feet to the wood and took out his bow.

"Come shoot with me," he invited without looking in her way.

The gentle breeze ruffled his black bangs. He lowered his mask and took in a deep breath of the fresh air. With a sharp inhale, he pulled back the string of his bow and aimed up at the sky. His body seemed to snap in half with how high the was aiming. Not even the stars were safe from the shot he was aiming at them.

An electric-purple orb appeared at the end of his bow in place of an actual arrow. It increased in size with every spark and crackle, waiting and waiting for a sign to shoot. Then, at the faintest twinkle of a star, his finger slipped free of the string.

The electricity flew through the sky, ascending higher and higher until it finally started to curve downward and fall back to the earth. Not once did the purple light dim, nor could the crackle ever fade away. Even as it fell beyond the horizon, the air still tingled with its presence.

"Wow..." Amber breathed. "Again?"

In the silence, he repeated the process. He was too lost in his thoughts to object anyways. With a straight face and a distant gaze, he was perfectly stoic. He could've been at peace, or locked in an internal battle. Regardless, he still functioned just as normal.

The light at the far end of his bow was double the intensity as before. The random spurts of electricity struck him a few times in the face and he'd flinch, but he'd pretend as if it never happened. And just like before, he leaned back and prepared to fire.

The warm glow of fire enveloped the cold aura the electro Vision's power emitted. Amber raised her bow next to him, and in sync, they shot into the air.

Pyro and Electro intertwined in the sky. Four arrows of power many could never achieve. They rose and fell together, and descended on Mondstadt's open land harmlessly.

"Do you ever take your Vision for granted?" Bayler murmured. "Perhaps you wonder what'd it be like without one, or ponder if it truly makes you a better person."

Amber released another two orbs into the night. "My Vision... is a sign that the Archons believe in me."

Bayler lowered his bow in front of him and turned his head to face her. "Keep that mindset, and may your Archon never take back what is rightfully yours for their... eternity."

He raised his bow again and shot off a few more orbs into the night, continuing to lose himself in thought. Whether Amber replied or not, he couldn't hear her. Only a crescendoing ringing echoed in his ears, clouding his thoughts and his judgment.