Truth.

Word after word just ran out of my mouth as sand. Everything. That my dad hit me, killed my siblings and touched me. That my stepmom was stoned all the time, always passed out somewhere or sleeping. That all dads friends used to touch me too. That I always felt dirty, no matter how long I showered. I've never had anyone. Always alone. That I barely knew how to read. How loneliness really affects me.
Maddie just sat there, silent, as I spoke. When I was done it felt like all the air in me was gone. I was deflated, empty. I let my gaze drop to the floor as I tried to process everything. Then she spoke and I looked up.
"Is it okay if I give you a hug?" Her voice cautious and soft.
"I've never been hugged before " I said, my voice barely a whisper.
"It's okay if-" but I didn't let her finish.
"But I wouldn't mind one".
Maddie gave me a sad smile as she pushed the table away and wrapped me in a big hug. My eyes stung from tears. They ran down my bruised cheeks on to her purple cardigan.
"I'm sorry, my tears they got on your shirt" I whispered
Maddie laughed a soft laugh.
"It's okay" she whispered back.
She rubbed her hand against my sore back as I cried in to her embrace.
We sat like that for a while, until I ran out of tears. She stayed with me until visitors time was up. We played card games and she promised me a book to practice my reading with.
That night I finally slept without sleeping medication. I only slept for 4 hours, always waking up to check the door, because what if he came back? What if he would hurt me again?