All good things come to an end.

He was here. I could feel it. I heard his familiar knock on the front door. He was here. In my safe space. With a bang he punched down the door. I was alone, the only sound I could register was my heart beating in my ears. He came for me, ran to the sofa and reached for me. His big hands snaking their way around my throat, slowly closing in.
Then i woke up, gasping for air. I sat up, drenched in sweat. My breathing was hard and choppy. I heard footsteps and immediately turned my head to look at where the sound came from. Maddie appeared at the top of the staircase, looking as frightened as i felt. She flew down the stairs, frantically searching the living room. When she realized that it was empty she walked over to me. At this point I was crying.
"Shhh it's okay" She said.
"He was here" I gasped, barely catching my breath.
I ran my fingers against my throat. His fingers weren't there, and they never would be again. Maddie didn't ask me this time, she just silently pulled me into a hug, letting me cry in her arms.
"It was just a bad dream, you are safe here" she whispered in my ear. "I wont let him hurt you again"
I was shaking uncontrollably, knees bobbing up and down, as i sat in Maddies arms.
"Nightmares are scary, huh?" She stroked my back.
I nodded.
"I still have mine" her voice had a sad tone.
"What do you dream about?" I asked her.
"My husband" she said.
I backed of and looked at her.
"Your husband?" I asked.
Maddie nodded.
"He is abusive"
"Is" I asked.
She nodded.
"Wait, you keep referring to him as your husband and not your ex?"
Maddie stiffened.
"You haven't left him yet, have you?" My voice came out sadder than I wanted too.
"I ran from him, I sent the divorce papers yesterday" she gave me a sad smile.
"Did he hit you?"
Maddie froze at my question. I guess I hit a sore spot. She thought for a moment before she nodded.
"Yeah" she said "it got pretty bad".
I didn't know what to say to that. "Congratulations for leaving him?" No. I decided on a hug instead. I just threw myself around her neck, no warning what so ever. Maddie laughed through her tears, putting her arms around me.
"You know kid, you are pretty damn special" she laughed softly.
I let her go and looked at the time. It was 05:57 and therefor not any idea to go back to bed. I stood up and walked over to the kitchen, staring to open cabinets in search for mugs and tea.
"What are you looking for?" Maddie laughed.
"Tea and mugs" I said, not stopping my search.
Maddie walked over and grabbed two mugs and two tea strainers. She put on a pot of water and when the tea was done we sat down in the sofa again, but this time, with a movie playing in the background. We talked for a while before Maddies phone rang. She picked it up.
"Hello." She said in to the phone.
"Maddie! Hi" a mans voice said at the other end of the line "listen I need you to come in today if you're able to, three people have called in sick and I'm desperate"
Maddie paused and looked at me. I just nodded reassuringly.
"Can I bring someone if I do?" Maddie asked.
"Yeah" i heard him say.
"Okay then I'll be able to come in for a few hours" Maddie said.
"My god thank you Maddie" he said.
"Okay bye bye" she said and hung up.
She turned to me.
"Listen, I have to go in to work for a few hours" she said "Would you want to come in to the office?"
I nodded.
"Sounds fun".
Maddie smiled.
"Great, we leave in an hour ".
An hour later we were in her car, on the way to the 911 dispatch center. When we arrived Maddie led me through a pair of doors and up an elevator. I felt the smell of coffee hit me like a ton of bricks the second I stepped outside the elevator.
"Maddie! Hi!" A redheaded older woman waved at her, but stopped as her eyes fell on me.
"Who's this?" Her sweet smile lighting up the room.
Maddie put a hand on my shoulder.
"This is my friend, Ellie"
The woman turned to Maddie with a confused look.
"Is this the same-"
Maddie cut her off with a nod.
"Well then." The woman said "I'm Sue"
"Nice to meet you Sue" I smiled.
Maddie and Sue started walking towards a glas incased room, talking about something that I couldn't quite reprehend.
"Welcome to the break room" Maddie said. "Here we have coffee, tea, hot chocolate and donuts"
Maddie held up a donut with pink frosting on top. I heard the door to the break room opening and then a man's voice as he said hello. It was the same voice that called Maddie this morning. Maddie turned to him and smiled.
"Josh, Hii" she sounded really happy to see him.
"Hey Maddie, good to see you" he smiled back.
"Oh" Maddie realised and said "this is Ellie".
He raised his eyebrows.
"The same Ellie that called here a few weeks ago?" He asked.
Maddie nodded.
"She's staying with me for a while" Maddie put a hand in my shoulder.
Josh looked surprised but then he smiled and started talking about something I didn't understand.
The day went by in a blur. I got to watch Maddie do her job. Hearing all those distressed people that she helped made me gain even more respect for her.
At the end of the day Maddie looked at me.
"Wanna go home?" she asked.
I nodded. I was really tired now.
"Let's go, then" Maddie put a hand in my shoulder.
She had started doing that a lot. I liked it, it made me feel safe. We walked down to the car, Maddie humming on a song, when her phone rang. She picked it up and said;
"Hello?"
"Hey Maddie" I heard from her phone.
"Hi Chimney" Maddie smiled.
"Listen I have the night off tonight and I was wondering if you would want to go to dinner tonight?" I heard Chimney through her phone.
"Chimney you know I can't but-" I cut her off with a wave.
"Hold on, I have someone that needs to tell me something" Maddie put her phone on mute.
"You should go" I told her "I'll manage if there is food and snacks at home"
Maddie shook her head.
"I wouldn't feel good leaving you alone"
"And I wouldn't feel good if I were to keep you from someone" I said, looking at her with a stern look.
Maddie looked from me to her phone. She clicked unmute and spoke.
"You know what, sure"
I heard Chimney do something on the other end of the line before he said;
"Great, pick you up at seven?"
"Yeah sure, bye bye" Maddie hung up and looked at me.
"I guess I'm going on a date" she said.
"I guess so" I laughed and we started walking to her car again.