Loneliness is a hurtful thing.

Maddie said she would have a few busy days and that she couldn't come to visit for a few days. So in those days I tried to understand the television. I scrolled through all the channels. Shows about animals in other parts of the world, made up people in made up cities doing made up stuff. Boring. I could not, for the life of me, realise why my dad loved the tv so much. To me it felt like nonsense.
She came back to visit me after three days. Unfortunately at the same time as a social worker was scheduled to talk to me. A tall woman walked in when we were playing a card game.
"Oh" she said "I'm sorry to interrupt but I'm here to talk about Estelles' placements after she's all healed."
Maddie stood up.
"I should leave" she said.
"Please stay" I didn't know if she would, but Maddie sat down in a chair next to me.
"I know that you are supposed to be leaving the hospital in a few days and-"
"Tomorrow " I corrected.
"Tomorrow" the social worker sighed. "So I'm here to tell you what happens afterwards"
I sat up straight and nodded.
"Are you sure you want me here?" Maddies face full of concern.
I nodded. I didn't want to be alone. Not again.
"We are still searching for a placement, but most likely it's going to be a group home, but that placement could be a week away so meanwhile you are going to stay in juvie" she sounded serious.
"Juvie?" I asked her, but my gaze went over to Maddie.
"Prison?" Maddie butted in.
The woman looked at Maddie and nodded.
"It's the only place with a bed"
"Am I going to prison?" My stomach dropped.
"Can we talk outside?" Maddie stood up and gestures towards the door.
The social worker nodded and they walked out. I grabbed a magazine from the table to distract myself.
They entered my room a few minutes later. Minutes that felt like hours. The social worker told me that they may have found another temporary placement and that she would come back tomorrow. Maddie also told me she had to leave early. She gave me a weak smile before she walked out.
I was alone again.