A new start, once again.

In the door opening was Maddie, with the same grin she had the first time I came to stay with her.
"Hii" she smiled.
"Maddie" i stumbled on my words.
"Welcome home" Maddie stepped inside to let us in.
Speechless, I stepped inside. Danielle spoke quickly with Maddie before she told us she had to go and left. Maddie closed the door behind her and turned around to face me.
"You surprised?" She asked.
I nodded.
"I know I haven't been able to come visit but I've been" Maddie paused "busy."
"It's okay" was the only thing I could say.
Maddie walked up to me and picked my bag up from the floor.
"Ready to see your room?" Maddie smiled.
I nodded.
"Let's go then" Maddie gave me a grin before doing a hoppity dance through the living room towards a door.
The apartment had an open floor plan, living room, kitchen and dining room merged into one with windows overlooking a square with a small cafe, a supermarket and a bookstore. Maddie stopped in front of a door and opened it. Inside was a bed, a tv, a wardrobe, a desk. The walls was painted a white colour and the floor was covered in a light wood flooring. It flowed sunlight in through a window and around it hung light blue curtains. It was perfect. I turned to Maddie, who still smiled from ear to ear.
"Is it approved?" She asked.
"It's perfect" I said.
"I'm glad" Maddie smiled.
I walked over to the bed, my bed. Maddie had made it with light blue sheets and three pillows. In the middle she had put a stuffed animal, a light brown bear. I ran my hand against the duvet. The cold, fresh sheets crackled when I sat down on my bed.
"You okay?" Maddie asked.
I nodded, but I guess Maddie didn't believe me because she walked over and sat next to me. Her shoulder touching mine.
"You sure?" She nudged my shoulder.
"How long am I staying here?" I turned to her, her brown eyes meeting mine.
Maddie looked at me.
"Depends" she said "how long can you stand me?"
I let out a laugh. Maddie ran her hand over my hair, down my back.
"Why are you asking?"
I shrugged.
"Okay well I'm gonna order takeout" Maddie stood up "you okay with Chinese?"
I nodded.
"Well then, you can unpack while I'll go out and set the table."
After that I was left alone. I carefully put my clothes in my new wardrobe and my books on my bedside table. Then I changed into a pair of pyjama pants and a hoodie and laid down on my bed. My bed. I lived here, I had a room and maybe a home.
After a while I heard the front door open and then Maddies voice through the apartment.
"Dinners here"
We ate and talked about the last few weeks, but not talking about what happened to Doug. We both avoided it like the plague. After dinner we sat down on her couch to watch a movie, Indiana jones this time. Maddie was kind of quiet, she didn't really say much. I grabbed a popcorn from the bowl on the table. Outside it had gotten dark and the digital clock on the microwave showed the time 20:11.
I think we were about halfway through the movie when I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up again I was drenched in cold sweat, heart racing as I looked around the room. Even though I was free of him he still came to me in my nightmares. My eyes fell on the clock, 03:39. I sat up and rubbed my eyes and a blanket fell down to my waist. I stood up and walked over to the bathroom. After I washed my hands my eyes fell to the trash bin. It had some empty cotton packets but something else, used gauze. What if she wasn't fully healed yet. Maybe her wounds was physical.
I walked over to my room and laid down in bed with a sigh. After that I just laid there. I couldn't sleep. I wouldn't sleep. My thought were spinning around like a tornado in my head.
What if Maddie couldn't keep me for long?
What if he came back?
What if I wasn't worth this life.
What if I wasn't worth anything.
What if...