An emotional rollercoaster.

"Yeah I know but I just don't know how to tell her in a good way"
That's what she told Chimney. I laid awake for so long, think about what she said. It couldn't be anything good, maybe she was taking Callie back and throwing me out. Or maybe she got tired of me and just wanted me to be gone? No she wouldn't do that, I hope. I drifted in to a worried slumber, tossing and turning all night.
The two days after were normal, movies board games and now video games. Maddie had connected my switch to the tv and I spent hours playing The legend of Zelda; Breath of the Wild. Maddie was watching with enthusiasm, yelling when I killed a monster or got another horse. It was nice. But on the evening on day three Maddie sat me down "to talk". My heart climbed up my throat as I slid down on a wooden stool. Maddie didn't really make eye contact with me.
"I have two news for you" she started.
"O - okay" I stuttered.
Maddie sighed, thinking of what she was about to say.
"Your mom contacted me on Christmas Eve" she said.
What? My mom? But my dad always told me she was dead, and that she died of an overdose. She had to be wrong. She just had to.
"No" I shook my head "no she's dead."
Maddie shook her head as she gave me a sad smile.
"She didn't contact me, or you, through the foster agency so they won't start the reunification process" Maddie continued. "She just wanted to meet you"
I shook my head.
"I'd rather not" I answered.
She sighed, shifting in her seat as she crossed her legs.
"What's second thing you wanted to tell me?" I asked.
"Well" Maddies gaze walked around the room for a moment before it landed on me again. "Callies parents emailed me on Christmas Day"
It was like a punch to the gut.
"Wh- what?"
She nodded.
"Yeah, they told me who they were and that Callie had started to ask questions about her biological mother, about me." She paused for a bit. "So I told them I was here for what they thought was necessary"
"What does that mean?" I asked.
"Don't know" Maddie shrugged.
"But listen" She reached over the table with her open hand and grabbed mine "you are not going anywhere, do you understand?"
"Are you sure"
She nodded, her hair bouncing against her shoulders.
"Okay" I grabbed her hand.
"Now let's just eat dinner and don't think about this anymore today, we can talk about that tomorrow"
I though about it the rest of the day, of course. I didn't want to meet her. The woman who left me with my father, alone. I didn't owe her anything just because she gave birth to me. What if Maddie saw this as a sign and gave me to her. I didn't want that. I didn't want my birth mom.
The next morning felt rough, it was hard to get out of bed and I yawned all the time. By the looks of it, Maddie didn't sleep well either.
"Morning" she said when she saw me.
She was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a pink fluffy robe with matching slippers, and in her hand a big mug that I guessed was filled with coffee.
"Morning" I answered, walking over to the stove to put the kettle on.
"Slept well?" Maddie asked, even though she knew the answer.
"No, you?"
Maddie shook her head. I walked around the kitchen, putting a bread slice in the toaster and putting the butter on the counter to wait for my toast. My limbs felt slow, like if I was sloth, walking around the kitchen.
"You okay?" Maddies voice asked.
"Fine" I said.
I wasn't. I was anything but fine because yesterday my world got turned upside down, again. When I heard the toaster make a mechanical sound I turned around to grab it and put it on my plate, but something felt wrong. It was like darkness swallowed my sight and then darkness.
"Ellie!?" Maddies voice again, this time it sounded a bit muffled.
I opened my eyes, the back of my head aching.
"You fainted" Maddie was holding up my legs in the air as I laid on the floor.
I groaned and rubbed my eyes.
"Has this ever happened before" She sounded so worried.
"No" I said, my voice rough around the edges.
Somehow Maddie lifted me up from the floor, took me down to her car, and drove me to the emergency room. When we stepped inside a nurse behind a desk took my information and then we waited for a few minutes for a doctor.
"Estelle Miller" a brown haired woman called out to the waiting room.
I stood up.
"I'm here" I said, still a bit wobbly.
Maddie instinctively grabbed my arm and we walked after the doctor in to a room.
"So Estelle" the doctor began as I sat down on the bed. "I'm doctor Atkins"
"Nice to meet you" I gave her a forced smile.
"So what brings you in today?" She asked.
"Uh" I looked over at Maddie and she took over.
"Ellie fainted this morning" she said.
"Okay" Doctor Atkins wrote something down. "Are you experiencing any other symptoms?"
"I'm a bit dizzy and tired"
The questions continued on for a while and the doctor asked questions to Maddie as well. After that she drew some blood from my arm and told us to go home and that they would contact us once the results were in.
On our way home Maddie kept an eye on me and when we stepped inside our apartment she asked me;
"Ellie is this because of what I told you yesterday?"
"How would I know" I turned my head to look at her "you're the nurse"
The next day we got the results. I had an iron deficiency, and I got described pills that I had to take every morning.