Back in time.

Maddie and I were standing outside the courts, my hand in hers. We had gone out to buy me a new shirt and a new pair of jeans to wear today. Maddie had also helped me get my hair curled and done into a half up half down hairstyle, a silver hair-clip holding my hair in place. My heart was pounding in my ears when we walked inside. Through the big glass doors I could see Danielle. She was standing inside, wearing a green suit and holding a clip board. Danielle and Maddie talked for a while before we walked towards the courtroom we were using. Danielle stopped outside two big oak doors and told me that I could step inside when I felt ready. I took a deep breath to try and calm myself before I pushed the doors open and walked inside. The room was bright, big windows in the ceiling letting in sunlight. In the middle I could see Caitlin, dressed in a blouse and jeans but beside her was a person with long red hair. They had their back turned to me so I couldn't see who it was but suddenly she turned to talk to someone on her left and my heart dropped. Her green eyes that looked just like mine and her damned freckles that she complained about non stop. Evelyn Miller, my sister. I turned around and rushed out of the room, Maddie close behind.
"Ellie?!" She closed the door behind her so the others in the courtroom wouldn't hear her. "What's wrong?"
I just shook my head in disbelief.
"If it's Caitlin I thought you knew" Maddies  soft hand on my shaking shoulder.
"My sister" I blurted, my throat restricting with every breath.
"What?" Maddies eyes looking for an answer in mine.
"She's in there" I whispered, trying to resist the tears stinging my eyes.
"What?" Maddie froze "but you told me she was dead?"
"I know" my voice so low I wouldn't even call it a whisper. "I though she was, that was what dad said"
"Oh Ellie" Maddie sighed.
The door to the courtroom opened and Caitlin came out. She stopped when she saw me.
"Hey?" She said hesitantly. "Everything alright?"
I pulled myself together, taking a few breaths before I answered her.
"Fine" my tone dry and a bit rude.
I didn't want to be rude, it just came out that way.
"Well we're starting soon so I think you need to come inside" Caitlin smiled.
My smile looked like that, closed mouth smile. Maddie grabbed my hand and we walked inside together. The door shut behind us and we took a seat close to the other witnesses. Evelyns eyes finally turned to me and she froze, her hand finding her mouth to stop her from gasping.
The judge began and first they took out my dad and let him talk and of course he plead not guilty. Then it was Caitlins turn and she talked about what he did to her. When the judge called my name I walked over and sat down at the bench.
"What's your name and relation to the defendant?" Someone asked me.
"I'm Estelle Miller and that man is my father" I answered.
"So what has he done to you?" The question unreal and distant.
I told them everything, all the abuse and him touching me. When I stopped talking for a while Maddie smiled and nodded to give me the strength to keep going. When I was done it was Evelyns turn but I didn't hear a word she said. The world had suddenly gotten quiet.
After the whitenesses were done I walked out with Maddie.
"Ellie wait!" A voice said.
I turned around, Evelyn was standing there. Her eyes asking, begging me.
"I don't wanna talk to you" I said coldly.
Then I walked away, Maddie following silently. We didn't say anything during the car ride home. I couldn't speak, not that I wanted to. My throat felt stuffed and tight, barely letting air through to breathe. When we got home I just went to my room and laid in bed, still in my court clothes. Evelyn was alive, yet another lie from my family. I fell asleep for a few minutes and woke up my left side and my eyes fell on my desk. It was empty except for two envelopes that I didn't put there. I sat up and walked over to my desk, grabbing the envelopes and then walking back to my bed. I ripped the first envelope open to reveal a piece of printer paper in it. I unfolded it and read.

"Hi Ellie.
I know words can't explain what I have done to you. The feeling of leaving you there, with him, have haunted me for the last 5 years. I just needed to get away so bad and my plan was to get away, get a job and a place to stay and then I was going to come back for you. I knew I couldn't leave you there but I had to. After I left I got a job at a diner and did online school during the night and two months ago I graduated business school. I got a job at a good firm with good pay and last month I came back for you just to find the house empty and wrapped in police tape. I called the police and told me that dad was in jail and they wouldn't tell me anything about you, not even if you were alive or not. And last month I got the court calling and I thought he was going away for killing you so I was prepared to hear them tell me you were dead. But when you walked through those doors it all hit me that I left you with him for 5 years alone but that you made it out. I'm so sorry little sis, I'm so sorry for everything.
Love
Evie"
I opened the other envelope which was a letter from the police telling me if I wanted to get anything from my dads house I could if I called to get an officer to go with me. I put the letters back on my desk and went out to the kitchen to get a glass of water. The apartment was dark so I turned on a lamp under a kitchen cabinet, lighting up the counter beneath it. I grabbed a glass and filled it with water before I leaned on the counter. As I ran my eyes over the apartment I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Pictures in picture frames up on the wall. A picture of me in a cafe, holding up a blue mug and smiling for the camera. Another with me on it, but this time it was from Christmas. I was holding a wrapped gift and was right in the middle of tearing the wrapper off. One of them was in a picture frame that stood on the tv bench. It was a selfie Maddie had taken after a doctors visit so to cheer me up we had gone to the beach to watch the sea. I was on her back in the photo, smiling with my hair blowing in my face. Maddie had a big smile on her face and her eyes had that sparkle. The last one was another picture from Christmas. It was a picture with me Maddie and Buck. Maddie was tickling my side and the photo had caught my laugher. Buck was smiling and doing a peace sign with his hand. Maddie was smiling towards the camera, laughter all over her face. In the bottom I could read "Buckley Family" with big black letters.