Chapter Five

Savi supposed she should have expected that. It wasn't like she could pretend that she didn't have a little brother. It was just that William Fitz Sencen was someone she loved but sort of wanted to forget. And not Sophie's ex, the dead Fitz – her little brother's middle name was Fitz. Sophie had gotten smarter and hadn't called him Fitzroy – just plain Fitz, so his name was different from the old Fitz's on the records.

Will was quite the sickly child and was constantly being hospitalized. He was quite a regular patient of Elwin's, even more regular than Sophie now that the Neverseen were gone. He had been admitted to the hospital wing a few weeks ago, before she had started school.

Savi and Seri always avoided the topic of their younger brother. It wasn't that they didn't like Will, but they didn't really want to admit that Seri had a twin. Things had gone badly since Seri's double birth. Will had tons of illnesses and Sophie and Keefe had stopped paying so much attention to Savi after that. Not that Savi minded. But most outings seemed to only include Seri nowadays, and Will if he was even at home.

"So... the outing is you, Seri and Dad collecting Wi- Fitz?" Savi asked.

"Savi, you should seriously stop calling him by his middle name. Why do you do that?"

"Because we'll only be able to use that name for so long before he's gone, too," Savi said, speaking the inevitable.

Sophie sighed, her gaze dropping to the ground. It was no secret that Fitz – well, his name was technically William – wouldn't be alive for that long. Savi didn't know what the family would be like without little Will. He was actually a very sweet, very bubbly child, and Savi's favorite sibling, not just because Seri was irritating. When Will was around, Savi was his favorite person, and she didn't mind hanging out with him. But he wasn't around much.

"You only call him Fitz when he isn't around," Sophie pointed out. "When he's here, you call him Will."

"I don't want to acknowledge that he's going to die when he's with us," Savi said sadly. It was true. She didn't want to give her little brother a constant reminder that his death was only a few years – or even months – away.

"Well, don't acknowledge it when he isn't here, either. Don't forget, Savi. There's always a chance."

Savi's patience waned. "Mom, Elwin said he's going to die. Elwin. And Bullhorn is always right next to Will even when he's healthy. Or, well, as healthy as he can get, I suppose. Don't you think I haven't realized there's a reason behind you not telling Seri or Will what banshees do when someone's going to die? Will just thinks Bullhorn likes him!"

"Well, I'm sure Bullhorn has grown fond of the little guy," Sophie said offhandedly. "And I don't want to talk about him dying, Savi. It's just... too soon."

Too soon after Fitz himself had died.

It had been two decades, but maybe Sophie didn't realize that. Then again, two decades was a very short period of time for an elf.

"I don't want him to go either," Savi mumbled.

Sophie looked... surprised. Actually surprised.

"What, you think I want him dead?" Savi demanded.

"Well, you've... never seemed to like your little siblings much," Sophie answered, and Savi knew that her mother was mainly referring to Seri.

"I don't like Seri very much. But... Will is different." Savi closed her eyes. She still couldn't picture the day Will was gone and was never going to come home. She used to wait for him in the house with her arms wide and he'd run at her and hug her. Not used. Not yet. She would still do that at least one more time.