Chapter Eighteen

Savi hid the guilt of tricking Fox and wiping her memories away. She'd made the Shade doubt herself, then made her become allies with herself. Technically, not made. Fox had been willing. But she also now thought that she was truly one of them, when she would never be. Savi wondered how long it would be until Vespera tried contacting her and triggered the memories. None of the memories Washed by Savi had ever been triggered before, so she wasn't even sure how well she'd hidden them. She just knew she hadn't shattered them.

But... if she was truly going to be a Neverseen member, maybe even a triple agent for them, she was going to need to let Gisela know. But not here. It was too open, open for anyone to see. She'd have to do something more reliable. She changed her handwriting and labeled it as a private document only for Lady Gisela's eyes before quietly starting to write.

Lady Gisela,

You need to be careful of your own allies. I've discovered that Fox was a double agent; she thought I was as well. I have Washed her memories of her alliance with the Black Swan and made a private alliance with her myself, just in case, but I'm not an experienced Washer and I'm not sure how deep I hid those memories, and the moment Vespera attempts to contact her, she might answer, given Vespera's her relative, and I'm pretty sure that conniving Ancient will find a way to trigger her memories almost immediately.

Fox is a dangerous Shade. I've tricked her into thinking she is on our side, but Fox knows I Washed some of her memories. She's confused right now, unsure of herself, and what she's lost, but eventually, she might start to disagree with what you're doing and will rebel.

Also... I've decided to take up a code name for myself. Not even the Black Swan knows Fox's true name, and I think that works in her favor, so I'd like to do that, too. I'm no Vanisher or Phaser, so it's not like I can hide anywhere. I will always be Savannah Calla, but I'm not sure about my father's last name. I want no attachments to my family other than my name, and I'm only keeping that because I like it. I'd prefer if you only called me Anna in private, because it's a dead giveaway. I would also like you to conceal my true identity from Cerulean. I'll disguise myself appropriately.

Until then... make my only registered ability to the Neverseen be a Telepath, and if you do make me a Mesmer, don't tell Cerulean that I'm Anna.

From now on, my code name is Nemesis. You could call me Nem, too, I guess. I know it's weird. But I like it.

Sincerely,

Anna

She was more or less pleased with her letter and hid it inside Lady Gisela's office before leaving, and bumped right into her. Lady Gisela looked surprised, though not unfriendly, and welcomed Savi with a wave.

"Anna! Would you like to"

"Um, I left something in your office for you," Savi said, shifting uncomfortably.

Lady Gisela's eyebrows raised. "Did you? A letter, maybe?"

"In the fourth cabinet, underneath the trick lenses."

"Interesting that you know what trick lenses are – our clever Technopath invented them." Lady Gisela looked impressed.

"Actually, they're labeled," Savi said, trying not to laugh.

"Oh." Lady Gisela looked slightly bashful as she returned to her office, coming out an instant later with Savi's letter unfolded. Her eyes scanned the paper and widened, before narrowing. She looked at Savi, her eyes brimming with curiosity but at the same time, seriousness, and she said, "Well, Nemesis, you have a plan to disguise yourself from Cerulean? You will also need to change your attitude."