Chapter Thirty-two

"Where have you been?!" Theodora demanded harshly, her voice cracking like a whip.

"Doing what I needed to," Cerulean deadpanned.

"What happened to her," Theodora snapped. "You're here because you need help, aren't you."

"I'm here to start anew," Cerulean said.

She froze for a moment, her eyes narrowing suspiciously. She wasn't wrong to suspect him. What reason did he have to return, since she thought Savi was still alive?

"Really," she said sardonically. "And I suppose you're asking me to adopt her as well."

Her obviously meant Savi, but for a moment Cerulean was tempted to feign stupidity, but Theodora wouldn't be fooled by any of that nonsense. She knew Savi would never turn back, and that Cerulean wouldn't come back if she was still around.

"What happened to her?" Theodora asked, her voice softening, becoming more grandmotherly.

"She faded," Cerulean whispered. "I just planted her Wanderling."

Theodora paused. "Did you find anything special about her Wanderling?"

Cerulean nodded eagerly. "Yes -- it felt like it was talking to me. That it could understand me."

Theodora drew in a sharp breath. "It's one of those."

Her tone didn't encourage conversation, but it was the way she said it that made him suspicious. "What?"

"They say... Sometimes those Wanderlings that can communicate, they can leave behind an echo of themselves."

"Explain," Cerulean demanded.

"Basically it can create a new elf inhabitant - a mirror of her, but not quite the same. It will start again from a young child, maybe four or five, and grow up to be similar to her. Of course, depending on the type of parenting she receives, she may turn out different."

"There's a catch, though?" Cerulean asked.

Theodora nodded. Good things like that always had a catch. "Savi's Wanderling would die to create a new inhabitant like that, and like I said, the inhabitant wouldn't be exactly the same. So you would sacrifice her, but receive back someone almost exactly like her."

Sacrifice all that was left of her? But for another Savi who could... Who could be the one for him. And they could finally have their happily ever after.

But not now. Now, there wasn't time for that.

"Later," he said.

"But you will do it?" Theodora asked, almost sounding hopefully.

He frowned. "You want me to?"

Theodora hadn't liked Savi much. She'd said his girlfriend had been far gone and spat out her name with disgust. But Theodora was nodding.

"I didn't like her much," Theodora admitted, confirming Cerulean's suspicion, "but you loved her because you knew what she was like on the inside. And I can't help but think, if she was raised without the hate, or with us addressing the hate early, how would she turn out? Maybe that inner beauty would reflect on the outside, too. I think I'd give her a second chance... And Sophie and Keefe would agree, too. But... What do you mean later? Don't you want her back now?"

Cerulean shook his head slightly. "Of course I want her back. But even bringing her back now, she'd be a toddler, like you said. Raising her... I'd leave that to Sophie and Keefe, but I would watch her too, of course. But first, her dream."

Theodora blinked twice. "A rascal like her had a real dream?"

Cerulean resisted the urge to hit his grandmother hard. "Of course she did," he murmured, almost warmly. "Where everyone in the Lost Cities is equal."

"Uh, we're already like that?" Theodora asked awkwardly. "You can't ask for something that already exists. I mean, sure you can, but--"

"No. People like the Talentless. The outcasts - those in the Neverseen. People like Rayni, thrown out from society because of what their parents did, how is that fair?"

"The Neverseen," Theodora said, aghast. "Did you and Savannah finish them off?"

"No," Cerulean said. Finish the Neverseen off? Him and Savi?

"Wait," he said suddenly, "would she have all her abilities already, at four or five?"

"I don't know," Theodora said, amused. "Do I look like I've been through this before? That's all I know."

"Who's the specialist at this?" Cerulean demanded.

"There is no specialist. It's not like people dying is a regular occurrence here. Maybe Elwin or Livvy, but I really can't think of anyone. You could ask Mr Forkle, if anyone knows this kind of thing, it would be him."

"Yes... Yes, I'll ask him. Where is he?" Cerulean asked, distracted.

Even more amused, Theodora replied, "In Foxfire, in his office, where he's always been."