Chapter Fourteen

"Rough day?" Via asked. "I mean, you sat with us yesterday, that's kind of weird."

"What'd you find out about Tsynis?" Harmony asked eagerly.

"Something bad, I just... won't tell you yet. It's a secret. But I might eventually, if anything happens," Savi explained.

Harmony shrugged. "Knowing Tsynis, it's got something to do with the Neverseen."

"Harmony... you have to promise you won't tell anybody. I don't know. It feels like I can't tell on him, you know, since we were friends." Savi looked at the ground.

"We won't tell anyone," Harmony and Via promised at the same time.

Savi transmitted it to them. He's a member of the Neverseen.

"Did you tell anyone?" Via asked softly.

"No," Savi admitted. "Should I?"

Harmony rubbed her chin. "Hate to say it, but Tsynis hasn't appeared evil yet, so maybe wait a little while? I can tell my parents and grandparents, they'll know what to do. I mean, I suppose we should give Tsynis a chance."

"Thank you, Harmony," Savi whispered. She hadn't expected kindness from Harmony, after everything.

"Just a note, Savannah? I never hated you."

"You can call me Savi," Savi whispered.

Harmony smiled. "I've still got a no-nickname rule. You know Via tried to call me Money yesterday? And you kept calling me Harm – so that's a no-no. But I do like the sound of Army."

"You do know what that is, right?" Savi asked. "There's no way I'm calling you Army."

Harmony smiled ruefully. "Well. It was worth a try."

"Definitely! Armpit," Via added before sniggering.

Harmony slapped her playfully. "This," she said, "is why you shouldn't hang out with Via."

Via stuck out her tongue at Harmony. Strange, but it felt good to be around girls, instead of Cerulean. Without all the prejudice hanging between them. With Harmony and Via, she could talk freely. They insulted each other for fun. And maybe, just maybe, they could get along. The friendship could work out.

But she did tell Harmony and Via that she was going to hunt down Cerulean at lunchtime to officially end their friendship.

"Breaking up so soon with your boyfriend?" Harmony tutted, but then she leaned in and whispered, "Just to let you know, I totally approve."

Savi couldn't return the quirky smile Harmony flashed at her.

She reached the canteen and found Cerulean sitting alone. She joined him at his table and immediately felt lots of emotions coming from him. Apprehension, sadness, guilt, fear and so many others that she couldn't translate. The guilt was overpowering, though, stronger than it had been the previous day, crashing on upon her.

"Look... I really think it could have worked out. But not anymore. I'm sorry." Savi stood up with her lunch tray and prepared to leave.

His lips curled into a sad smile. "But that's the saddest thing. We could have been friends, but now I'm forced to do this."

She barely had time to read his mind and find out what was going on before he grabbed her arm and whisked them away in a flash of light.

She appeared in a dark cave, briefly illuminated by the light from the leap, and crashed onto the ground, her head throbbing painfully. Someone put something on her head, and instantly, the emotions from Cerulean winked out. An ability restrictor? She remembered Sophie had complained about when Uncle Dex had made her one of those. She pressed harder, the headache crushing her, but she could feel the soft hum of Cerulean's thoughts. He was expecting someone, but she couldn't make out the name. Her consciousness was already fading, so she stopped trying to break into his mind. The headache faded.