Chapter Thirty

"Savi, you can't keep running from your parents," Cerulean said patiently.

"I'm not running away from my parents," Savi snapped, "I'm running away from my past."

"... Which is your parents."

"In a way, yes," Savi admitted wryly - she could never get the last word with him - "but in other ways, no."

He drummed his fingers against the tabletop - they'd Teleported to Falcon Cove in Cerulean's bedroom, since Theodora was out. "Elaborate."

She mock glared at him, but there really wasn't much she could say in her own defense. "Well, what can I say? I don't want to be their daughter anymore. And I don't want to pretend they fixed the world right."

"They didn't fix the world," Cerulean muttered, his eyes downcast.

"Exactly," Savi said. "It's still so broken and, well, flawed, and is that the sound of a door opening I hear?"

"No," Cerulean whispered, and Savi frowned, straining her ears, before she realized it had been an 'oh no' kind of no. 

"She's home, isn't she?" Savi asked.

Cerulean nodded, unable to speak. He wasn't ready to face Theodora. And honestly? Neither was Savi.

"Get us out of here!" Cerulean whisper-hissed.

"I can't teleport with nothing!" Savi hissed back. "I need flat ground to run, or a cliff-"

"You did it just now!"

"I was desperate just now!"

"Aren't you desperate now?" He challenged, but it was too late.

Theodora flung the door open. "Cerulean Asher Tsynis," she said, her voice silky smooth but filled with malice. This was not the Theodora I'd met.

"Granny," Cerulean answered, straight-faced.

Theodora snorted. "Not your grandmother anymore. I disowned you, Cerulean."

"Ah," Cerulean said, looking mildly stunned. "That's a shame."

"For you, maybe. For me, no. Do you know how long I spent convincing the Council why you should be allowed to go to Foxfire? And you'd been with the Neverseen all along?"

"Who else could I go to?" Cerulean demanded softly but harshly. "My parents are in Exile, Granny."

Theodora took a half step back. "That doesn't mean you join the cause that landed them there in the first place!"

"Theodora!" Savi interrupted, standing between grandmother and grandson.

"Sav," Cerulean began, alnost conversationally, but Savi cut across him.

"No, Cerulean," she said. 

Refusing him like a dog might've been a little harsh, and he looked stricken, but recovered quickly, nodding to her, letting her speak.

"Well, what do you want? Your parents want you back, you know," Theodora pointed out mildly.

"And the Council will sentence me to Exile, or Exillium, or whatever, do you think I care?" Savi demanded.

Theodora closed her eyes. "No, I don't suppose you do."

"So basically," Savi said, "you have nothing against me?"

Theodora frowned. "I don't know about that. It was undoubtedly your influence that made Cerulean run away -"

"Gran, it wasn't her fault-"