Chapter Twenty

The Neverseen, it soon transpired, were early risers. Fox and Gisela greeted Savi every morning. Savi had woken to find all the appearance-changing potions ready for her on her desk, and she'd worn a dark cloak, covering her long, wavy brown hair and mint green eyes. She'd put a pair of glowing emerald earrings on to match her eyes, not that it'd be seen anyway, and she glided into the hallway, her levitation propelling her, before landing in the seat around the dining area, her legs crossed.

The Neverseen's living conditions had surprisingly improved since Keefe had been there, and gnomish-made food was on their plates. Savi sat at the high table. Everyone else had been informed of her identity and hadn't so much as blinked when she took the seat to Gisela's right. To Savi's surprise, Cerulean was seated five chairs away from Gisela, and Fox was on Gisela's left.

The Shade looked a little lost but still had her confident outside, but she gave Savi a dim glare through narrowly slitted eyes.

"Um... who's that?" Cerulean asked nervously, gesturing to Savi. She could see through her hood, and he looked like he was trying not to chew his fingernails.

"This is Nemesis," Gisela explained. "She just returned from a mission elsewhere. Nemesis?"

"So, you're Cerulean." Savi spoke in a low voice, feminine enough that it was passable, but nothing at all like her own.

Cerulean let out a high-pitched squeak. "Y-yes, I am. I-I'm honored you heard of me." He looked anywhere but at Savi.

Savi let out a low chuckle and returned to her plate. The food couldn't match up to Edaline's, but it was alright, considering it was made by gnomes. Keefe had gone on about the woes of eating wild mushrooms, but clearly those days were past.

Then she had a closer look and realized Cerulean was eating wild mushrooms, and only she and Lady Gisela had proper food, and Fox had a little to to her right.

"She gets proper food?" Cerulean whispered in a hushed voice to Trix, not that it escaped Savi's ears.

"She's sitting on the Lady's right! What did you expect?" Trix snapped back and hushed Cerulean.

"I don't know – Fox is on her right, and she's also eating mushrooms, though not as much," Cerulean defended himself.

"I can hear you," Savi said quietly, and he instantly clammed up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't"

"If you keep quiet, I might forgive you," Savi responded harshly, hating the way she was speaking to one of her friends, although she didn't really trust him much. She met his eyes, and he could probably vaguely pick out her mint green eyes from beneath her hood.

Gisela laughed coldly. "Yes, you don't want to mess with Nemesis."

"If you don't mind me asking... what's her ability?" Cerulean asked.

"I am a Telepath," Savi whispered, her voice low and threatening despite her sentence. He shrank back, eyes wide with fear.

"Stop looking so scared, Cerulean. We are not mice. And since you're sooooo interested, Talentless, I suggest you ask her yourself next time."

"Talentless?" It slipped out before Savi could take it back in, but luckily it had come out in Nemesis's fake voice. Hadn't he said he was a Hydrokinetic?

"Oh. I forgot we sent you to spy on Savannah Calla; you must have been hoodwinked by him as well. No, he's not a Hydrokinetic. But we had to use some excuse to let him sneak away during ability classes." Gisela didn't miss a beat and made up an excuse immediately. It also made sense, given 'Nemesis' would know everything Savi knew.