Chapter - 16

Sujata and Swara gawking at the scene in front of them without a blink.

"What are they doing here?" words were out from Sujata even before she realised.

"Mom, were you aware about this?" Swara asked abstractedly. She knew from next month a court case against Adarsh and Parineeta was going to start.

But this late afternoon looking at both of them entering back in their house, that horrendous day's memories replayed in front of her eyes. The day, on which she was threatened by her own brother-in-law to kill her husband.

Adarsh and Parineeta were blinded by their jealousy and insecurity. Everything was running smoothly but their hunger for power destroyed a well settled happy family. They turned their own bloodline against each other. And even today, the shadow of their deeds was casting a spell over Maheshwari House.

Both saw Ram getting down from the car behind Durga Prasad's car.

"No" Sujata was clueless, same as Swara. Sujata's heart crumbled seeing her husband behind them. "Ram knew about this?" She mumbled dropping her shoulder. In a moment she again felt betrayed by her husband. Till today, she had become used to living without his support but he had never hidden anything from her.

"Mom, please don't assume things before giving a chance to Dad for his explanations." Swara provided much needed support to her mother in law. Her past blunders had enriched her with much needed wisdom.

"I am sure Dad will have his reasons." Sujata stared at Swara blankly. Trust and hope radiated in Swara's eyes helped her to gain her posture.

Both took steps towards house entry to find their answers.

Adarsh and Parineeta entered inside with heads down, their entry inside Maheshwari house raised eyebrows from every member of the house. Ragini along with Gadodia family were at a standstill at their places.

"Laddoo, what is happening over here?" Parvati asked horrifyingly to her grand- daughter in audible to others.

"I don't know Dadi Ma." Even Ragini was dumbstruck with current happenings.

"Go and bring water for everyone." Parvati instructed pushing her grand-duaghter.

When Swara and Sujata walked in, both Adarsh and Parineeta were sitting in the living room besides Annpurna. The Gadodia family were sitting on other couches as audiences.

Durga Prasad started leaving the living room without any word, but his reservations, anguish was clearly visible from his demeanour.

Ram dropped his shoulders looking at his wife and daughter-in-law. His helplessness filled eyes pushed Swara and Sujata in a perplexed state. His eyes requesting both of them to trust him for his unsaid support to his brother's decision were replied with an assured blink from his daughter in law. He took a deep breath when Swara trusted him. Sujata was just shifting her eyes between the two.

"Ji, can you please wait?" Annapurna requested. Her words fell on Swara and Sujata's earbuds breaking their trance.

"Annpurna, you got what you had desired, now you don't need me." Durga Prasad's stern voice boomed inside Maheshwari House walls. He turned to come face to face with Swara and Sujata.

He lowered his eyes. Today, he could not meet his eyes with their questioning ones. His hands were tied. He wanted to leave for his room without any further word.

Earlier, Annapurna was behind her husband with an ask to release her elder son and daughter in law. Her plea was instantly denied by her husband. But Annpurna was also a mother, she took out all her weapons to blackmail her husband to bring her elder son out of jail.